Checking 3FE fuel pressure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching for a watered down version of checking fuel pressures to test the fuel pump & FPR with no luck for the 3FE. I'm just an average Joe that borrowed a testing kit from NAPA with no previous experience. The FSM goes all over the place get's confusing. Am I overthinking the process or what? Google & YouTube produced no luck. Anyone know a better reference would be much appreciated.

some ideas in that thread

some ideas in that thread

That is awesome! The part about listening to the FPR run especially. I just replaced the cold start temp sensor with a newer one (had to hunt down the right connector) & cleaned up the cold start injector yet the FSM directs me there and like I said... all over the place. Thanks for the info!

This banjo bolt from LC Engineering fits the cold start injector and allows you to add a gauge or schrader valve.

IMG_20220811_153308.jpg
IMG_20220811_153319.jpg

Hi, Do you keep your gauge in all the time or plug it? Mike

Hi, Do you keep your gauge in all the time or plug it? Mike
I just put it in recently and for now I'm leaving it in, but I'm in the process of tuning a turbo setup on my 3FE. Once I'm all done I may remove it but honestly I like being able to see fuel pressure at a glance, then again if that thing leaked it's a really bad spot to dump fuel.

I just put it in recently and for now I'm leaving it in, but I'm in the process of tuning a turbo setup on my 3FE. Once I'm all done I may remove it but honestly I like being able to see fuel pressure at a glance, then again if that thing leaked it's a really bad spot to dump fuel.
In speaking with LC Engineering they said in opting for the liquid filled gauge it's ok to leave it installed. My concern would be the liquid freezing as sometimes we dip into the sub zeros here in the North. I'm waiting to hear back from them. They also offer an in cab gauge, apparently the sender attaches to the fuel pump so that may present a problem being it's not designed for the 3FE. I definitely get your drift about that being a bad place for a fuel leak.

In speaking with LC Engineering they said in opting for the liquid filled gauge it's ok to leave it installed. My concern would be the liquid freezing as sometimes we dip into the sub zeros here in the North. I'm waiting to hear back from them. They also offer an in cab gauge, apparently the sender attaches to the fuel pump so that may present a problem being it's not designed for the 3FE. I definitely get your drift about that being a bad place for a fuel leak.
I believe most are filled with glycerine, not sure of the freezing point, would have to Google that, but I'm sure it's well below that of water. My cruiser gets parked for the winter so that's not a concern for me. Good to hear that it's ok to leave it there

Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
One of many reasons I carry a Halon 1211 bottle in my 62 on a mount from @NLXTACY (gotta promote good products).

@Michael Hanson if the gauge is filled with glycol like a lot of our flightline equipment gauges were when I was active, freezing won't be an issue. Used em clear up near Fairbanks in more than 30 below with no problem, but boy those Detroit diesels in the generators were damn near impossible to start....

One of many reasons I carry a Halon 1211 bottle in my 62 on a mount from @NLXTACY (gotta promote good products).

@Michael Hanson if the gauge is filled with glycol like a lot of our flightline equipment gauges were when I was active, freezing won't be an issue. Used em clear up near Fairbanks in more than 30 below with no problem, but boy those Detroit diesels in the generators were damn near impossible to start....
Very cool, I have the same fire extinguisher mount under my passenger seat. I did the research on glycerin filled gauges. It says if mixed with liquid down to -40. It also said straight glycerin has a much higher freezing temp was kinda confusing. WTH? Lol... that's Google for yuh I guess. Thanks for your much valued input.

Every fuel injected motor I've owned or install I put an in cab fuel pressure gauge. They use an electrical sender placed on the fuel line, on the frame, anywhere between the fuel filter and motor. They can tell you most of what you need to know about your fuel system at a glance. I hate guessing when it's something as stupid as a clogged fuel filter

Every fuel injected motor I've owned or install I put an in cab fuel pressure gauge. They use an electrical sender placed on the fuel line, on the frame, anywhere between the fuel filter and motor. They can tell you most of what you need to know about your fuel system at a glance. I hate guessing when it's something as stupid as a clogged fuel filter
@LA Z another idea for a gauge in the OLED display!

Am I reading that right that extinguisher is 660.00?

Am I reading that right that extinguisher is 660.00?
A 2.5lb Halon 1211?
Sounds pretty close actually if on the high side. Usually between $400 and $600. A fire department friend of mine got this for me out of surplus and every couple years gets me one to swap out that's current on its inspection. Halon 1211 isn't a type that someone can easily buy from a store, but there are a few online sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom