checked my tansfer case fluid... 5qts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took off the filler plug and OUT IT CAME!

A fountain of fluid comes pouring out, lucky my pan was there and there was only minimal spillage. Drained the rest from the drain plug and measured it out; 4.75 qts.

I am assuming 2 qts GL-5 and 2.75 qts ATF. I changed my tranny fluid about 3 months ago and have checked periodically since, no loss of fluid. I can only assume this is from a long time ago.

After i changed to nice new fluid, it feels as if 500lbs have been lifted from the truck. It is quicker, it shifts better, and the hum that i was getting in 4th gear is now a nice little whine.

Can anyone explain what happened? How did all that tranny fluid get in there?

how long have you owned the truck? maybe the trans leaked into the t case and someone just topped off the trans.

pilotsareplanecrazy said:
Can anyone explain what happened? How did all that tranny fluid get in there?

The seal between the tranny and transfer wears, and allows oil to get pumped through. Easiest method to repair is to purchase the bypass kit from MAF or SOR. This is just a hose the connects the two fill plugs. You fill both, then attach the hose. Oil that gets pumped to the trans flows back to the tranny.
This is a functional and long-lasting fix.

Factory recommended fix is to replace the seal, which involves removing the transfer case (which is best removed along with the transmission).

lovetoski said:
The seal between the tranny and transfer wears, and allows oil to get pumped through. Easiest method to repair is to purchase the bypass kit from MAF or SOR. This is just a hose the connects the two fill plugs. You fill both, then attach the hose. Oil that gets pumped to the trans flows back to the tranny.
This is a functional and long-lasting fix.

Factory recommended fix is to replace the seal, which involves removing the transfer case (which is best removed along with the transmission).

Doesn't the transfer case need GL-5 gear oil? I have an auto, so it uses ATF. I would think this would create problems?

Is this in a 60 or 62? I've never heard of the auto tranny pumping fluid into the T/C. If this is a 60 you better not put anymore ATF in there!

Maybe somebody filled the T/C while the truck was laying down ;P

pilotsareplanecrazy said:
Doesn't the transfer case need GL-5 gear oil? I have an auto, so it uses ATF. I would think this would create problems?

Didn't realize you have a 62. Not sure the deal in your case. Sorry for the misinformation.

It's an HJ60 with the A440F transmission. I really can't figure out how it got in there. Other than maybe the transmission was over filled in the past and it flooded in the the transfer case? Either way it's running a lot better now. Tomorrow I am changing the front and rear diffs. The way things have been going with this rig I wouldn't be suprised iof a squirrel fell out.

the rear seal of an auto trans can leak too. Mine had the same problem, I drained the TC, topped it up with 80w90 and I haven't noticed any significant amount of trans fluid in the TC yet. I also check the trans fluid level regularly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom