Check this out: German VX hdj 80? RHD? w/ Camper Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I think I have the nomenclature correct...or is it an 81?

So, I'm going to get my morning cuppa at Durango Joe's and I see this crazy 80 and give him the thumbs up...

It parks at the coffee shop as well. So after I get my coffee, I go out to chat the guy up a bit and it turns out that its a German couple that have been roadtripping South, Central and North America for the last 2 and a half years...wow.

In their good but broken english, they explain to me that they have a power steering pump leak and a rim that won't hold air. So I take them to where I work (Steamworks Brewing Co.) for the internet signal and run back to the house to get them a couple back issues of Toyota Trails so they will have some good contact numbers. Give them directions to the nearest tire shop and the contact info for Safari Ltd. in Grand Junction for the steering pump issue. They have a map on their hood that documents their travels....very cool rig and something you don't see every day. If you see them on the road, say hi! (They are headed to GJ then to Arches.) They are Ewe (pronounced you-day, I think) and Tina. It was a great opportunity to see a rare-to-the-USA model with the addition of a seriously custom camper top.

On with the pix:
germanvx1.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2010-05-04

germanvx3.jpg

germanvx2.jpg

germanvx8.jpg

germanvx10.jpg

germanvx9.jpg

germanvx11.jpg

germanvx12.jpg

germanvx6.jpg

germanvx5.jpg

germanvx4.jpg

and selectable locking hubs up front???

That is really cool. Thanks for the pics and helping them out!

What a cool looking older couple!

I hope I'm that neat in my older age.

That's an awesome rig! Thanks for the pictures. Germans drinking piss water bud, that can't be! I guess there is global warming, also!:flipoff2:

First time I've seen an up spec Model (VX) with barn doors..

The freewheeling hubs look like hey are AVM. They are the ones supplied with the Marks Part time Kit

It's mysterious even - especially since they are are from Munich (the "M" on their license plate indicates that). Munich/Bavaria is THE stronghold of the German beer culture. "Hofbraeu", "Augustiner", "Paulaner"... Hofbraeuhaus.:beer:
Maybe you caught them just at the time when they where saying: "what the heck, let's try that stuff once, so we know what we are bitching about" (That'll sound different in German tho).

i didnt know you could get a vx with barn doors?
Check out the rear right tyre how black it is from the exhaust , a mate had same set on on his troopy and on a long trip the zorst gasses heated the tyre up so much is went all egg shapped and nearly shook the car of the road

cool ride but

How to piss off an American 80 driver? Pull up next to him and when he looks over and doubletakes your right hand drive diesel, you hit the power mirror retract switch. Classic.

What are you doing in 80's tech :flipoff2:

Cool story JT

Haha...I was given an anonymous tip about a cool overlanding factory diesel and just had to pop in. :D

That was pretty cool......thanks for sharing and helping them!
I was just in moab sunday...I just may run into them.They should be going thru my neck of the woods ....I'll be in GJ Wednesday
:beer:

Yeah, its a kick to help fellow cruiser owners out, especially when they are from a different part of the globe....just seems like good will comes back ten-fold and it just makes it even better to be a Landcruiser owner. I try to pay it forward.

I think it's an HZJ with 130 hp
The roof is the old model from Toms Fahrzeugtechnik

kewl. looks almost like they've been outfitted by this French guy.
btw, all Germans look neat ;)

No, Philippe ROY from the french atlantic coast is a friend of mine. He began working years ago for the french navy for builduing little boats.
His roofs are made in GFK, the roofs from all the germans working that, are made in aluminium. I do have such an aluminium roof.
A few more links:
Offroadschmiede Marcus Haase |

Custom Campers - Willkommen

Startseite

ooops :eek:, sorry,
The barn doors are from the HZJ model but it seems to bee an HDJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom