check pcs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this adds no valuable info, but WHY is this even a topic of convo on a Land Cruiser? On a Maybach maybe, but a 'rugged' world conquering SUV that built its reputation for sitting 20 years and then starting right up with a fresh battery?
Seatbelt ECU?! ABS ECU, traction control ECU, steering angle ECU, thousand dollar brake pumps.......Who dreams up such a thing? $1000 computers?! Crazy.

Does that add ruggedness, dependability, or reliability to their hallowed truck?

Build it tight, build it rugged, build it to last. That's what they used to do at least.

I so want to like the 200 series....it is tough to a point, and a perfect size......but a new, unnecessary gremlin each day pops up in this section. Such a letdown.

Of course these issues are going to pop up on this forum. This is a place where people who experience issues tend to go first. Most issues are easily resolved and don't require thousands of dollars. It's all about context, because what you don't see are the hundreds of thousands of owners worldwide who have no issues whatsoever for many hundreds of thousands of miles, and many in incredibly tough environments. They just aren't hopping on here posting "Things are still ok today".

Also, and this is not directed to you specifically, but I have seen this "not like they used to be" argument popping up occasionally, but cars of all makes and models, in general, are much more reliable today than at any time in the past. They are also safer and more efficient. This glorification of the old days is misplaced.

As far as "Build it tight, build it rugged, build it to last" - the 200 is built to tighter tolerances than probably any mass produced vehicle in history. It is literally engineered to run for 250k without any major repairs. That doesn't mean that repairs will never be needed, but expensive repairs are exceedingly rare on 200s.

And linuxgod is exactly right - many of the issues that get posted are not random failures, but are from accidents, poor maintenance, etc. Random failures do happen, and it really sucks when you are the one it happens to, but it happens no matter how well built something is and is not an indication that things aren't built as well as they used to be.

Just my two cents, but if I had to choose any vehicle in the world to load my family up in and head out 40 miles from nowhere, I'd take the 200 all day, any day, and wouldn't blink.

This is a great tech thread with lots of good advice, but the original poster doesn't seem like he's going to be able to do this level of diagnostics, given the concerns expressed above about run of the mill diagnostic actions like checking to see if an obvious sensor was unplugged (fear of breaking clips on the grille...).

This is a great tech thread with lots of good advice, but the original poster doesn't seem like he's going to be able to do this level of diagnostics, given the concerns expressed above about run of the mill diagnostic actions like checking to see if an obvious sensor was unplugged (fear of breaking clips on the grille...).
Yep. Hopefully it'll help him direct and/or discuss the problem and possible solutions with a mechanic though, rather than just throwing $ at parts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course these issues are going to pop up on this forum. This is a place where people who experience issues tend to go first. Most issues are easily resolved and don't require thousands of dollars. It's all about context, because what you don't see are the hundreds of thousands of owners worldwide who have no issues whatsoever for many hundreds of thousands of miles, and many in incredibly tough environments. They just aren't hopping on here posting "Things are still ok today".

Also, and this is not directed to you specifically, but I have seen this "not like they used to be" argument popping up occasionally, but cars of all makes and models, in general, are much more reliable today than at any time in the past. They are also safer and more efficient. This glorification of the old days is misplaced.

As far as "Build it tight, build it rugged, build it to last" - the 200 is built to tighter tolerances than probably any mass produced vehicle in history. It is literally engineered to run for 250k without any major repairs. That doesn't mean that repairs will never be needed, but expensive repairs are exceedingly rare on 200s.

And linuxgod is exactly right - many of the issues that get posted are not random failures, but are from accidents, poor maintenance, etc. Random failures do happen, and it really sucks when you are the one it happens to, but it happens no matter how well built something is and is not an indication that things aren't built as well as they used to be.

Just my two cents, but if I had to choose any vehicle in the world to load my family up in and head out 40 miles from nowhere, I'd take the 200 all day, any day, and wouldn't blink.

No doubt its reliable, compared to others. And no doubt this place is for the problems.....but every single day its a new issue, that shouldn't be an issue on a vehicle of this type and lineage. You can build a quiet, reliable, safe, rugged, dependable truck without over thinking it, over engineering it and over complicating it.

My point is..........what is more reliable and rugged and dependable (and cheaper!)......computer controlled seat belts or just regular seat belts?

Then multiply that type of decision by hundreds of times throughout the truck.....gets complicated and expensive quick! THEN.....they waste time coming up with a "Heritage" edition that has nothing to do with any LC that came before it, except the Badge, which is oddly placed. A yakima rack and plasti dip looking wheels does nothing for reliability or dependability or ruggedness.

I don't know what actual number 'exceedingly' equates to in relation to issues....but the 200/LX is produced is very small numbers relatively speaking, so percentage wise.....that would take some studying.

Hope the OP finds a loose connector!

My point is..........what is more reliable and rugged and dependable (and cheaper!)......computer controlled seat belts or just regular seat belts?
Sounds like you should import a 70 series ;)

Cheaper and more rugged doesn't mean better. Here is an example of why computer controlled seat belts and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) are a good thing:

No doubt its reliable, compared to others. And no doubt this place is for the problems.....but every single day its a new issue, that shouldn't be an issue on a vehicle of this type and lineage. You can build a quiet, reliable, safe, rugged, dependable truck without over thinking it, over engineering it and over complicating it.

Then multiply that type of decision by hundreds of times throughout the truck.....gets complicated and expensive quick! THEN.....they waste time coming up with a "Heritage" edition that has nothing to do with any LC that came before it, except the Badge, which is oddly placed. A yakima rack and plasti dip looking wheels does nothing for reliability or dependability or ruggedness.

I don't know what actual number 'exceedingly' equates to in relation to issues....but the 200/LX is produced is very small numbers relatively speaking, so percentage wise.....that would take some studying.

I don't think that "complicated and expensive", and "reliable and rugged", are mutually exclusive. You can certainly argue that maybe this version of the LC is skewed too much to the former. Maybe the next generation will be more skewed to the latter. Who knows. But I am not sure you can even buy a lawnmower without and ECU these days, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I do understand your meaning though. The LC is a long way from its roots, but I don't see that as a bad thing. There is room for a rugged, reliable yet safe, comfortable, and technically advanced vehicle. There are always tradeoffs. My point is that if the LC was less complicated and made like it was 50 years ago, this forum would be full of posts about a mechanic taking 3 weeks to diagnose an engine knock and ending up with an unnecessary valve job and rebuilt carburetor and the knock is still there when all they needed was to use better gas.

As it is, we have folks that plug in a gadget from amazon and the car tells them exactly what's wrong, then they come and post it here. It's progress.

Alright fellas, question for you all. 2009 LC with 112k miles.

short version: Check PCS System is luminated after a hard(ish) brake on interstate. 1st shop say it's bad computer.
I doubt it is the computer. This happened to me after the second Very hard stop in a week. I hate it. It pulls you back so hard it becomes a split second distraction. That .5 second interruption is a lot of time when you are reacting to something. I want to turn it off! That being said for me I had to replace the driver side seat belt mechanics. Opted to do the entire thing because it happened around the time of the passenger side seat belt recall. So all new both sides.

If it is the ECU than it must have coincided with the hard breaking but I would check the seat belt first. It is a 2009 so it has some age. Hopefully it's just the belt mechanism. I have a 2009 as well.

I know this adds no valuable info, but WHY is this even a topic of convo on a Land Cruiser? On a Maybach maybe, but a 'rugged' world conquering SUV that built its reputation for sitting 20 years and then starting right up with a fresh battery?
Seatbelt ECU?! ABS ECU, traction control ECU, steering angle ECU, thousand dollar brake pumps.......Who dreams up such a thing? $1000 computers?! Crazy.

Does that add ruggedness, dependability, or reliability to their hallowed truck?

Build it tight, build it rugged, build it to last. That's what they used to do at least.

I so want to like the 200 series....it is tough to a point, and a perfect size......but a new, unnecessary gremlin each day pops up in this section. Such a letdown.

What you want wouldn't be allowed in the american market because vastly safer options exist, and therefore have become required.

The flip side of this is the staggeringly violent accidents that people walk away from these days, instead of being maimed or killed. Trust me, I've personally been to the accidents and cleaned them up. One F-150 was called 2-face because from the driver side it looked fine.. other than airbag deployment. The entire passenger side outboard of the seat bolster was literally scraped off. Driver had a bump on his head but didn't even go to the hospital. Or the Jetta with the passenger front tire pushed back to the center of the front door, the radiator lying 100 feet out in front of the car from inertia.. driver and dog (not restrained) walking around like nothing happened.

All of these systems combine to make modern vehicles as safe as they are. Seatbelt ECUs are one small part of how a 200 is so much more safe than a 60, or even 80.

If you ever get into a serious accident in your 200 the posts about electrical gremlins will probably not be very high on your list of concerns.

Oh, and dogs are ******* tough.

Last edited:

I agree with you 90%. I picked up a 2009 LC about 2 years ago and really love the thing. Fantastic. But I am used to a no frills 4x4 so all the electronics bother me to no end. I don't need a warning sign to flash up when the windshield washer fluid is low. I hate the navigation screen not because its out dated but why do I need that I use maps for the most part and have a compass on the dash. A fuse blows every once and a while on the passenger seat if you force it into recline too far. My favorite up grade was the EMU suspension because it rides like a truck and doesn't wash around any more. I hate the CDL. That electronic bugger... want that gone.

I do like the heated seats.

The thing is for a stock off road vehicle this size built in 2009 and going forward they are still the best in my opinion. Go on a Range Rover forum. Ih8mud is more about accessories and modifications than complete breakdowns but when problems arise they do come up here. And a lot of times resolved saving even the novice $$$$.

Check out the reliability/longevity of the 200 series compared to similar SUVs. There is this thing called stealth wealth. Yes I said it. If a person purchases a 2018+ LC or LX you have more money than most of the population. So here's the kicker. From an accounting standpoint if your spending 75-100K on a vehicle and you want the least amount of depreciation, fun times and reliability you get a Land Cruiser. Financial advisers would rather see you in a LC than a Tahoe if you are expecting the full life from a vehicle. The LC platform just lasts longer than it's competitors.

Besides most people burn and turn any vehicle. Leases are very popular because everyone wants to drive a new ride. Gone are the days where people actually drive the same vehicle for a decade. They love and expect the tech like a new Iphone or like a fat kid loves cake. They do not care if it the electronics break in 2 years because they are going to replace it anyway in 2 years. It's a disposable world we live in so I am surprised Toyota didn't stop making the LC 5 years ago for import here.

Sounds like you should import a 70 series ;)

If the absolutely, without a doubt, 100% corrupt and inept Fed gov't would get out of my way, I would. Sad that the people 'we' pay the salary of are so pathetic and weak and misguided and out of touch.

and yes, again, I fully understand that the 200 series is 'more' reliable than a Rover or a BMW. Everyone knows that. No one is arguing.
It could be better, is my point.

Maybe for the 300, they'll take step back and build the best, most dependable, most reliable SUV in the lineage of the Land Cruiser name. They can by using the best steel, use the best seats and seat material, use the best soundproofing, use the best glass, use the best brakes, use the best airbags, use the best suspension and frame, use real lockers that are user selectable., use the best coil springs and top tier shocks.....and fine, add some seat heaters and a nice stereo.....and then, and only then, add mechanical and electrical complexity to meet gov't requirements. Nothing more. No bulbous plastic bumper covers, no $1000 headlights, no lame gold wheels and cheap roof baskets, no overdesigned grill, no unreliable voo doo engine magic to eek out .1mpg (just remove weight), no 'automatic' anything, use a cheap, reliable, and nothing to do with safety analog gauge cluster, simple radio interface that can be easily changed and updated by the owner (without bricking the entire vehicle......and has nothing to do with safety). 22" bling wheels? I don't think so.

Also, In no way is anyone advocating to build a LC like they did 50 years ago with points and a carb and a 4 speed manual. Not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion here.

I would buy a new FJ40, that looked the exact same, but was built with modern tech and methodology and new steel/electronics. Guess I should call ICON.

If the absolutely, without a doubt, 100% corrupt and inept Fed gov't would get out of my way, I would. Sad that the people 'we' pay the salary of are so pathetic and weak and misguided and out of touch.

and yes, again, I fully understand that the 200 series is 'more' reliable than a Rover or a BMW. Everyone knows that. No one is arguing.
It could be better, is my point.

Maybe for the 300, they'll take step back and build the best, most dependable, most reliable SUV in the lineage of the Land Cruiser name. They can by using the best steel, use the best seats and seat material, use the best soundproofing, use the best glass, use the best brakes, use the best airbags, use the best suspension and frame, use real lockers that are user selectable., use the best coil springs and top tier shocks.....and fine, add some seat heaters and a nice stereo.....and then, and only then, add mechanical and electrical complexity to meet gov't requirements. Nothing more. No bulbous plastic bumper covers, no $1000 headlights, no lame gold wheels and cheap roof baskets, no overdesigned grill, no unreliable voo doo engine magic to eek out .1mpg (just remove weight), no 'automatic' anything, use a cheap, reliable, and nothing to do with safety analog gauge cluster, simple radio interface that can be easily changed and updated by the owner (without bricking the entire vehicle......and has nothing to do with safety). 22" bling wheels? I don't think so.

Also, In no way is anyone advocating to build a LC like they did 50 years ago with points and a carb and a 4 speed manual. Not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion here.

I would buy a new FJ40, that looked the exact same, but was built with modern tech and methodology and new steel/electronics. Guess I should call ICON.
So this is more about a soapbox than the vehicle itself. Got it.

I propose we get back on topic of OPs original troubleshooting request. Ranting about people’s salaries isn’t helping them or others that may have this problem in the future.

A Land Cruiser specialty shop has it. Never did know they were in town until after all this and it sounds like they had it figured it out in no time. After speaking to the tech, it's a Block Cowl Side junction box (pretty sure that's the description). It got wet from the sunroof and has some corrosion. It's getting power to the PCS fuse, but not sending it to the computer correctly.

Lesson to share with everyone. Go to a real Land Cruiser shop, not necessarily Toyota. It appears that all the Land Cruiser owners in Charleston, SC go to McIntosh Imports and it's their bailiwick. I spent a s*** ton of money going to the wrong shops and thinking that I had a lemon. I'll make another update in the coming days. Thanks everyone for sharing.

A Land Cruiser specialty shop has it. Never did know they were in town until after all this and it sounds like they had it figured it out in no time. After speaking to the tech, it's a Block Cowl Side junction box (pretty sure that's the description). It got wet from the sunroof and has some corrosion. It's getting power to the PCS fuse, but not sending it to the computer correctly.

Lesson to share with everyone. Go to a real Land Cruiser shop, not necessarily Toyota. It appears that all the Land Cruiser owners in Charleston, SC go to McIntosh Imports and it's their bailiwick. I spent a s*** ton of money going to the wrong shops and thinking that I had a lemon. I'll make another update in the coming days. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Glad you got it sorted out.

You already may be on top of this, but do everything you can to support that shop! Ones like this are worth keeping around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom