Check Engine light come on after oil change never done it before. help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Check Engine light come on after oil change never done it before. it came on right after i drove up a hill and stays on. the dipstick says it is fine oil wise. what could it be?? it's a 88 4 cylinder 22re 4runner. please reply

sometimes they come on after a certain amount of miles say, 80,000 100,000 130,000 ,just to get you in to the dealer, you can try disconecting the battery for a few minutes , if it is nothing serious it will reset the error code and light will be off , don't no much else about your year it is pre obd2 , ?? could be your o2 sensor went bad ?? who knows just giving you some suggestions .

pbgbottle said:
sometimes they come on after a certain amount of miles say, 80,000 100,000 130,000 ,just to get you in to the dealer...

Toyota's don't do this. AFAIK, BMW is the only car that pulls this stupid stunt, but there may be others.

Read this article:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

Grab a paperclip, jumper the diagnostic connector (yours is attached to the fuseblock right behind your battery), read the flashing code. Repair as appropriate.

When the light comes on do you notice a difference in the way it runs(accelerates/deccelerates)? If you do its probably the O2 censor. My 93 did this and i had it fixed.

My previous 85 4runner's check engine light came on and stayed on til the day i wrecked it which was many miles. I would say look for obvious things and unless you want to go have it diagnosed just ignore it.

lunyou

Stupid question, but are you sure you filled it w/ oil? The oil pressure light and check engine, I believe, will come on w/ low pressure.

Is the oil filler cap on and tight? Check all the electrical and vacuum hoses in the areas of the motor where you were working to make sure you didn't accidently knock something loose.

Did you spill oil on a sensor-namely the temp coolant sensor? It is right there to the left of the cap.

Pull the code, reveals all secrets. My bet is on a coincidence, and it's either your TPS or your O2 sensor. Or both.

bkg said:
The oil pressure light and check engine, I believe, will come on w/ low pressure.

Nope. There are no codes in the ECU system for "No oil pressure".

It often takes several repetitions of an error condition before the CEL comes on. If there was no oil in the engine, it would have siezed by now.

If you can find a paperclip, you can pull the codes. It's really easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom