cheapest way to reach from california to oregon on a mobile unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what the cheapest setup would be to be able to reach from eastern oregon to southern california. This would be a mobile unit and only be for absolute emergencies, not for recreational use. I will be taking some camping trips out there and most areas have no cell phone coverage so I want a way to connect to family if something were to happen. Thanks so much for the help

Also maybe just enough to hit a repeater and reach across oregon

You need to research the repeater coverage in the area you're worried about.

Eastern Oregon is pretty sparse, looking at a quick internet search. I only see one repeater, in Baker City: http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/search/index.asp?find=W7NYW

If you want to talk direct to SoCal, you will need to know a lot about HF. You're going to need a lot more knowledge than you're going to get from an internet posting. Start by getting a General class license. What you need to know to get the license will be enough to get your feet wet and know what you will further need to learn.

You could check into the SPOT messenger so the family can keep tabs on you, and you can hit the emergency button if you're in trouble.

You could buy a satellite phone.

The spot messenger sounds exactly like what I need! Thanks so much. I will still be getting my operators license but will be building a better foundation! Thanks for the help

I picked up a spot messenger and it is perfect. Half off all of their products right now as well!! perfect timing, thanks everyone

I picked up a spot messenger and it is perfect. Half off all of their products right now as well!! perfect timing, thanks everyone
I was checking out their mobile site. I have been pondering getting one. For the basic SOS and I'm OK versions, what is the service plan $$$

I would recommend the Delorme Inreach SE instead. More reliable, you can text, free mapping comes with it, and the fam/friends can follow along. Works in or out of the car. I got the in car charging cradle, but I also carry it hiking and skiing.

I've been carrying a SPOT Messenger for several years and have never found myself without coverage. I make a lot of solo trips (with my dog) and never have to worry about being out of touch. Some people report that they have found themselves without service. I suspect something like the redwood canopy in Northern California might cause service failures. But, the various forests I've hked and/or camped in have never caused me problems.
  • One button to 'check-in',
  • One button to turn on tracking (your SPOT webpage shows your up-to-the-'minute' tracks on a map, with GPS coordinates,
  • One button for a 'custom' message (like "I'm ok, staying another night"),
  • One button for minor emergencies (broke-down, etc. - notifies your contacts) and
  • One button for 911-emergencies. Notifies GEOS (you can buy reasonable GEOS insurance for emergency airlift rescue).

My SPOT service plan, with GEOS insurance runs about $165/yr.

The batteries last a long time - I leave my SPOT turned on the whole time I'm away from home and seldom run batteries down on a trip - but, always make sure you have spare batteries with you!!

SPOT also has great prices on satellite phones, their plans are reasonable, but more than I am willing to pay - I don't go where I go to talk to people on the phone anyway and my SPOT Messenger is all I need.

With a radio either VHF/UHF via linked repeaters or HF (all bands are possible but 40m-20m would be reliable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom