1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest spring spacer

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by waldrtw, Mar 4, 2004.

1. waldrtw

waldrtw

I would like to level out the front of my 80. I have the 850 and 863 combo and don't like the way it is racked at the nose. yes, i have heard it is not a good idea but I just can't stand the look anymore! I say that you can put Mr Gasket spacers on the front for about $10.00. Is anybody running these. How do you like them. Do they go on the top or bottom of the spring??

Tim

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    They go on the top.

There are some members running them. They tend to get beat up after a while. Mtnrat had some on his for a short period of time before changing lifts and they looked pretty sad.

SSSSHHHHH (I have some on mine and so far-so good, they are not a real good way to go but they do be cheap)

The caster will change even more if you add spacers. I would not recommend doing it unless you have some form of caster correction, be it OME bushings or caster plates such as Christo is formulating. The steering will be VERY LIGHT and twitchy.

D-

3. fzj

fzj

I have the Mr. Gasket spacers, I've had them in for a couple years now, I have no complaints, they are easy to throw in and give ya an inch of lift, they don't look too bad, because they are black. For ten bucks you get an inch, that's a bargain lift kit, and the Cruisers look so much better when sitting level!

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

I have them on my 80, I was the 1st to run em............like 6(at least) years ago. Never had an issues, when I swaped to J springs(in front) I did replace the Mr G's with new ones, but the old ones were still fine and someone someplace has them on their 80.

I see no problems with them at all.

5. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Which one are you guys using - I did a quick web search and came up with this ....right one?

Tucker

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

part number rings a bell but not postive, it looks right and as long as its only grooved on one side that the one, I think they only make 2, one with grooves on both side and one with only one side(thats the one ya want)

John

[quote author=tucker74 link=board=2;threadid=12543;start=msg115103#msg115103 date=1078434835]
    Which one are you guys using - I did a quick web search and came up with this ....right one?

Tucker
    [/quote]

7. Lockd97

Lockd97

[quote author=tucker74 link=board=2;threadid=12543;start=msg115103#msg115103 date=1078434835]

Tucker
    [/quote]

That is it (1285). The 1287 is the double groove one.

8. lagwagon

lagwagon

I am running a 1" aluminum spacer and 5mm and 10mm spacers in the front with the OME caster correction. Drives great, no vibrations and sits level

9. floatinghat

floatinghat

so when running these I assume you are running front and rear? What is the benefit of two grooves?

andre

10. cruiserdan

You do not want to run two grooves. You want a flat surface against the spring perch.
    Front only, as this is a method to address the "nose down" attitude common in the 80.

11. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

when installing the spacers be sure to clean the spring and seat well. I used dish soap the lube up the spacer so it would seat completely and correctly. Put in dry and it might hang up or get cocked going in. As you drive there would be some movement which would suck in dirt which would start wearing on the spacer causing it to fail prematurely. I've had mine in for almost 8 months with no problems.

12. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Would it be bad to run these spacesr all around on stock suspension?

I want a little more clearance for the time being, before I get the OME 2.5'' lift.

13. cruiserdan

The diameter of the rear springs is larger than the fronts. It would require a differrent spacer.

14. Junk

Junk

If you want some OME 10mm packers, I have some extra in the garage. Some for front and some for the rear (not Doggy's though) :D