Cheaper HVAC Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.freewayoneentertainment.com
Has anyone successfully installed another manufacturer's HVAC into their 40 [or other older car]? The reason I ask is that aftermarket HVAC like Vintage Air is quite expensive. In Aus it'll be $2500 complete. However, pulling a system from a recently wrecked car would be far cheaper. Questions I have;

1. Who has done it, if at all?
2. I have a carbed Holden engine [for now] with an idle up switch, will there be issues if the HVAC unit is from an EFI car? It will be replaced by a later generation of Holden engine [with EFI] in about 12 months.
3. Will there be any issues with the two brands 'talking' to each other? To my understanding these are mostly mechanical systems, not high-end electrical.
4. Is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers and keep on truckin.

30168041_1948867205442211_9153106931817979242_o.jpg

The mounting of the compressor will require quite a bit of fabrication. The Vintage Air unit displaces the alternator to mount the compressor, then hangs the alternator under the a/c bracket. The basic functionality of the unit is, as you say, just a mechanical pump assembly with a condenser, evaporator and orifice. The housing for the Evap, with the attendant controls, is the part that I would not attempt, as don't see how the home builder would reasonably design the flaps and controls for the airbox and make it look decent. If looks don't matter, yes you could cobble together a working a/c with just the basic parts for a couple of hundred bucks ( or quid ) since you're in Wales. Good luck and post your creation when it's done.

Doug

Daniel,
Get the compressor brackets from a salvage yard and mount a stock compressor for your engine. Then purchase an aftermarket kit for the rest of the components. I did this on my 45 and the unit I purchased from Old Air Products was only $600.00.

The mounting of the compressor will require quite a bit of fabrication. The Vintage Air unit displaces the alternator to mount the compressor, then hangs the alternator under the a/c bracket. The basic functionality of the unit is, as you say, just a mechanical pump assembly with a condenser, evaporator and orifice. The housing for the Evap, with the attendant controls, is the part that I would not attempt, as don't see how the home builder would reasonably design the flaps and controls for the airbox and make it look decent. If looks don't matter, yes you could cobble together a working a/c with just the basic parts for a couple of hundred bucks ( or quid ) since you're in Wales. Good luck and post your creation when it's done.

Doug

The fab work is easy. The electrical stuff is the headache. A mechanic friend has since informed me modern HVAC units have umpteen other circuits running through them and would be counter-productive to use given their complexity.

Daniel,
Get the compressor brackets from a salvage yard and mount a stock compressor for your engine. Then purchase an aftermarket kit for the rest of the components. I did this on my 45 and the unit I purchased from Old Air Products was only $600.00.

Thanks Michael, the same friend who informed me [above] has showed me how to use aftermarket stuff for about $1100. A massive saving! Just have to wait til The Pitch is done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom