Cheaper (and nicer) CO2! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
well, was trying to find some CO2 locally to fool around with with a system I'm putting together. Called several welding supplies places. Either they didn't have it, or they would only do it on an exchange basis -about $25 for 20 lbs and insisting on using their tanks, and generally not being too nice and helpful... (The kind of attitude one often encounters when dealing with "professional" places when you're an average Joe off the street, I am sorry to say... And they complain why people are going to the Internet instead of patronizing the locals... :rolleyes: )
I had read about the fire extinguisher places and was about to try to find one if there is one at all around here when I hit upon a local "Ice" place, doing mostly dry ice and supplies for beverage distributors (soda, kegs etc). The guy on the phone was nice, helpful, cordial, chatty. Went there, sort of a typical ugly looking industrial supply outfit -the kind I like. In no time at all, I had 20lbs for $15. They even threw a gasket in for free... Maybe there is still hope!

Anyway, you may want to check the "keg" places around your area to see if they are not much cheaper (and nicer) than the welding places. HTH.

After your "could it kill you thread?", you have my interest up. (and I'm stuck at work for 12.5 more hours) what are you planning?

ff347 said:
After your "could it kill you thread?", you have my interest up. (and I'm stuck at work for 12.5 more hours) what are you planning?

nothing weird. A cylinder system. Eh, if everybody says that it's perfectly fine to share an enclosed space with a tank capable of instantly displacing all the Oxygen, and that can kill little berry-picking ladies, who am I to disagree, and why would I not fool around with something like that? :D

(I am planning to do a few tests, however, to see what's with leaks and all... :) )

if you are really worried about it get a CO2 detector. it will let you know if there are any troubles.

anybody remember the aromatherpy candles in the rental car comercial?

$11 for a CO2 fill with completely empty tank at the dry ice vendor here in Reno. I found this fill ranged all the way up to $22...so it pays to use the yellow pages :D

spressomon said:
$11 for a CO2 fill with completely empty tank at the dry ice vendor here in Reno. I found this fill ranged all the way up to $22...so it pays to use the yellow pages :D

how many lbs? mine was 20 lbs, that's bigger than the usual wheeler tanks.
mmm....

(I read that 20 lbs should give about 50 tires (33s from 15 to 30psi), so $0l30 per tire or $1.20 each time... One :beer: ... Dang...)

interestingly, I asked the guy where he got the liquid CO2 from and he mumbled something to the effect that they were putting dry ice in a tank and it would turn into liquid CO2... You should have seen the condition of the tanks, though... :eek:

RavenTai said:
if you are really worried about it get a CO2 detector. it will let you know if there are any troubles.

anybody remember the aromatherpy candles in the rental car comercial?

I thought the detectors were for carbon monoxide as opposed to dioxide - do they work for both?

e9999 said:
how many lbs? mine was 20 lbs, that's bigger than the usual wheeler tanks.
mmm....

(I read that 20 lbs should give about 50 tires (33s from 15 to 30psi), so $0l30 per tire or $1.20 each time... One :beer: ... Dang...)

interestingly, I asked the guy where he got the liquid CO2 from and he mumbled something to the effect that they were putting dry ice in a tank and it would turn into liquid CO2... You should have seen the condition of the tanks, though... :eek:

My Ptank is a 10lb'r.

MoJ said:
I thought the detectors were for carbon monoxide as opposed to dioxide - do they work for both?

You can get a CO2 detector, I have a meter that reads excess CO2...

I am into my Co2 setup well under $100. Tank was a freebie soda tank, filled up was $7, regulator was $50 (Bevco here in SLC sells refurbs), mount was $20, fittings and hose ~ $20 (I already had a hose I was using for my on board air). Sweet setup... Not sure if BEVCO ships, but they always have 4-5 rebuilt regulators in stock for ~$50. Mine is a 125psi, adjustable, with a safety release.

Also have oba for under 100 bucks...right at about 60...20lb tank, brand new from a welding supply place...traded in a freebee soda one...very nice...blasts tires up in no time...gonna get a CO2 detector so i can do long trips worry free.

MoJ said:

Well now that I think of it the smoke detector looking things I was thinking of are carbon monoxide detectors,

Fortunately these guys say you can get the carbon dioxide also.

Where do you find the freebee soda tanks? Even without one to grease the skids, under $100 for on-board CO2 sounds pretty tempting.

3fj40 said:
Is anyone mounting these underneath the truck by any chance? I still think it's safer up under there than in the cab even in an accident.
You could probably store it down there but in order to run it, you'll have to put it in a somewhat upright position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom