CHeap way to fix your faded paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i bought this sweet 60 and the hood was all sun faded and the paint was looking pretty bad.. I din't want to spend a bunch of money fixing it and then being all worry about getting it scratched up camping.. so i did it the cheap way... turned out amazing! also hit the spot where the diesel had faded the paint and i'm very happy with the results dupli-color silver was dead on!

PC210204.jpg

PC210205.jpg

PC210206.jpg

P1020308.jpg

P1020309.jpg

fixed fixed

:) way better than 3k repainting the whole rig

P1020313.jpg

P1020310.jpg

Looks good - did you prep/primer or anything or just spray right over the existing surface?

A cheap way would have been.... wet-sand with 2000 grit, then slather entire cruiser with a $6 can of Johnson paste wax. ;)

Man that BJ is sweet! I'm assuming it came down from BC? How's the rust and how much was she?

J

No prep/primer

all I did was clean the surface pretty good and then went to town on it. the clear coat was not flaking.. I think it was completly gone but if its flaking i would smooth it out with 2000 grid sand paper I didn't just do the hood either i took the paint to the curve on the fender and faded it on the turn.. no taping i feel like when you tape and take the tape off you can see the line and difference in thickens but fading it with the spray worked out awesome i can't tell where it blends... and wax... i don't' know if that was would have fixed the paint problem it was not just clear coat problem the paint was all jacked up.. about 30 bucks including the clear coats .. i'll take that:steer: totally not a BJ this bad boy is a toyozu with a 4BD1t diesel :) no rust

Last edited:
I'd list the paint that you used. (Part #) Other Silver FJ6X owners may want to know :)

Looks good man!

dupli-color

Got it a Cost less auto parts for $6 a can (1F7)CLASSIC SILVER MICA BTY1617. the wife has a good eye :)

P1020317.jpg

I used similar duplicolor paint on my tacoma satoshi grill and it's a great match. Nice work man.

do you have any before pics? the 60 is lookin sweet by the way :cheers:

I did top it off with the clear coat.. lots of clear coat.. before pictures of the rig before it got all these mods? i bought it like with the exception of wheels and tires.. . plan on tinting the windows , roof rack, sleeping platform, all around lights and a couple of other things.. it gets about 26 mpg so setting it up for long camping trips.. before i painted it? the first couple of pictures shows before

Silver 60

I too have a silver 60 with faded paint and would like to touch it up,thanks for sharing your idea.Possible sticky?:D

Sigh no shipping to Australia. :(

Posted via IH8MUD app

Was in repco a couple of days back here in Vic and they have a new range of duplicolor paint pens and spray cans.
Maybe check those out mate.
I'm tempted to try it on my roof after reading this, my roofs rooted

Sent from my SM-N9005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom