Cheap Sun Visor Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Basically my sun visors are well.. gone. I have none. Never did. :frown:

I've looked at used, New OEM and the CCOT made replacements (which don't seem to get stellar reviews.. surprise surprise :rolleyes:).

I'm really not excited to spend $80 dollars a piece on visors and compared to other costs associated with things I need for the cruiser, that is low on the priority list.

Basically it's like this, I need to press the cruiser into slightly more regular service and the morning sun is killing me right now. Anybody got any uber cheap solutions? It doesnt have to be anything great, just something to keep the sun out of my eyes till I can get some good ones down the road. It could be out of a ford pinto or whatever as I'm sure I can fab some kind of converter bracket to make the mount work.

Ideas from the brain trust?

thanks,

I've looked at used, New OEM and the CCOT made replacements (which don't seem to get stellar reviews.. surprise surprise :rolleyes:).

I'm really not excited to spend $80 dollars a piece on visors and compared to other costs associated with things I need for the cruiser, that is low on the priority list.

Basically it's like this, I need to press the cruiser into slightly more regular service and the morning sun is killing me right now. Anybody got any uber cheap solutions? It doesnt have to be anything great, just something to keep the sun out of my eyes till I can get some good ones down the road. It could be out of a ford pinto or whatever as I'm sure I can fab some kind of converter bracket to make the mount work.

thanks,

Here you go... :lol:
oimg_GC00204736_CA00204750.jpg

FJ40 FJ45 BJ42 New Sun Shade Visor Blades LandCruiser | eBay
$12 for blades seems cheap enough... Don't know if they also sell hardware.

Or, you could always get a used set from the classifieds. Mine wouldn't fit with the cage. 6'4" so it's not a problem.

I saw that one. I even bid a few times but every time I did, it was one of those deals where it told me immediately that I was outbid. Plus I need the hardware too. Thanks though.

Great subject - mine are gone too. I cant justify spending that kind of scratch on visors right now and was thinking about hitting the junkyard. Hope someone chimes in with a good, working solution.

-Ed

thanks,

My cruiser didn't come with visors so not sure about the setup. I am just assuming they are like most others where the visor just rotates around a metal bar. We have a plastic place by my house that sells scraps for practically nothing. $1-$4. They come in all different colors like black, red, orange, blue, smoke, clear. It would be pretty easy to buy one of those, shape it into a shape that looks good and use some metal strapping bolted through the plastic to hold it to the visor metal in the corner of the plastic. The plastic is easy to cut and sand with basic woodworking tools. You can use a band/jig saw to cut it. If you want the edges to be shiny like the rest of the plastic, just hit the edges with a torch for about 2-4 seconds after you cut it.

I was in the same boat when I got my 40, no visors. No a lot of things, but that's another thread. ;p After about a year I finally broke down and bought a set off of Ebay for about $50 shipped. However, I was considering just making up a couple of plates to bolt up to the stock location and welding a rod to them bent at the proper angle. I never use my visors on the side windows, so rotating them wasn't a concern to me. The covers themselves just swivel on the arm using a small screw/clamp, so you could fashion them out of anything that shoots your fancy. When the time comes, I may replace the covers with something a bit longer. The stock visors are "cute" and all but leave almost half of the windshield open in the center. I can't always hide the sun behind the mirror. :)

Or, as Bikersmurf mentioned, you could keep an eye out in the classifieds, plenty of rust bucket cruisers being parted out it seems, some with decent visor arms.

:cheers:

Some good ideas here guys. Thanks. saryon7, that's seems pretty cool with the plastic plates. You could custom shape them, paint them to match and everything. A hardcore utility truck deserves a hardcore utility visor. If that don't work, I've got a pull-a-part in the area. I bet I can scrounge up something there that doesn't look too awkward. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any other vehicles that would fit without modification as that does sometimes happen. Anyways, thanks folks. :D

Don't give up on this thread... There's a lot of people who need visors and hardware (including me)...

Rocky

Okay, well I found some for a range rover classic. You'd probably have to fab up some type of mounting bracket to make them work but my bid is holding at $5.00 at the moment so someone else could probably score them for $5.50 if they wanted to. They seem nice and wide and the style is old enough that they probably wont look too out of place. You could probably hit them with some kind of rattle can for plastic/vinyl to change the color. Anyways, I was set to buy these but a buddy came through with a set out of a first generation isuzu trooper and he's going to give those to me for free so if anyone is looking for an option, this one might be good. If no one wants them and I win the auction anyways, that's okay too. I'll just have an extra set for either my trooper or the cruiser. HTH.

1989 Range Rover Classic sun visor (2) Parting out - eBay (item 200619930107 end time Jun-21-11 14:00:52 PDT)

Make sure the visors you make won't scalp you during a sudden stop. Since I moved my seats back a couple of inches and raised them up half an inch I don't have any trouble not having visors. I was going to reinstall them but I'd be looking under them most of the time. Thought about making some smoked plexiglas ones about half the width of stock ones.

Good topic/thread. For those of us with a cage and when lowering the windshield, does anyone have a cage mounted visor solution? Thanks

Okay, well I found a solution and fabbed up a mounting plate and was able to use these isuzu visors that I got for free. A little paint and they dont look too bad. I maybe have about $10 in this. A far cry better than the $160 I could have spent. Anyways..

I started by cutting off some plates from a 1.5" flat bar. Cruiser bumpers make such wonderful work benches.
IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

I started drilling out the holes and notches I needed to make the visors fit into the brackets and for the brackets to be able to mount to the windshield frame. Excuse my crude cuts. I only had a sawzall and a cordless drill to make this work.
IMAG0315.jpg

Both cut out. you can see the visor pre-paint in this picture.
IMAG0316.jpg

Primed and painted the brackets.
IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

Trees make excellent paint hook locations. :rolleyes:
IMAG0321.jpg

Here is how they mounted.
IMAG0324.jpg

This is how they look from the outside.
IMAG0323.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. After all my rig is far from a show truck. Hope this is useful info for others.

Okay, well I found a solution and fabbed up a mounting plate and was able to use these isuzu visors that I got for free. A little paint and they dont look too bad. I maybe have about $10 in this. A far cry better than the $160 I could have spent. Anyways..

I started by cutting off some plates from a 1.5" flat bar. Cruiser bumpers make such wonderful work benches.

I started drilling out the holes and notches I needed to make the visors fit into the brackets and for the brackets to be able to mount to the windshield frame. Excuse my crude cuts. I only had a sawzall and a cordless drill to make this work.
Both cut out. you can see the visor pre-paint in this picture.
IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

Nice!! :clap:
Sorry, maybe I'm dense.. but what are the notches for?

I'm assuming the visor is some kind of hard plastic? What paint did you use?

Nice!! :clap:
Sorry, maybe I'm dense.. but what are the notches for?

I'm assuming the visor is some kind of hard plastic? What paint did you use?

The curved post that connects the visor to the mount goes through to the back side of the visor's mount. There is a spring back there along with a clip to keep it in place. The notches were to allow enough space for that spring and post to go through so it could be bolted to my brackets.

The visor is not a hard plastic, just a regular old foam visor with vinyl covering. I painted them with rustoleum, x2 coverage, flat black spray paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom