Cheap snorkel from Malaysia not too bad! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the air ram looks pretty good IMOP .. how it feels ( quality wise .. )

It feels good. I haven't ever felt an ARB snorkel so I can't compare, but it feels like you'd expect one to feel.

I'm posting so I can find this later. I like it. From a quick peek. Does it attach to the rain gutter also, or the only mounts are the 3 gold things horizontally on fender behind the main hole.

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Hey! will you two stop feeling your snorkel! This is a family forum! :-/

I have one of these cheap snorkels too. It mounts at 3 points to the fender as well as the A pillar with a bracket. The A pillar bracket comes with rivets, you supply the rivet tool.

Frank

I couldn't find a difference in the pictures.. I emailed them just to make sure, but I think they are identical... :D

Thanks
Cody

I'm pretty sure the Malaysia version is a knock off of one of the others. There is a www.bunchofscratchedplastic indicating someone scrapped off the original url before using a version to make a casting. Nevertheless it installed fine.

I bought mine mainly for the cold air intake feature for my 3FE conversion and it helped a lot.

Frank

That other one has $4 less plastic in it ....

Ikid.

It's the same.

;)

"
dear sir

oh sir i am so sorry to make you confuse..actually in 169usd is the old stock and the 165usd in new stock....but the item quality is same sir..just because in 169usd item,we are order a few stock so the supplier code me a bit high price..but now i order in many stock,so the price is a bit lower..so sorry sir.. hope that you can understand..

thank and have a nice day

- jdm-motorparts"

So same, just old stock.. :D Just as I thought.. :D
Cody

Ok, now explain this...

Ok, if we are talking cheap snorkel kits what about this one I saw on the local craigslist? They always seem to be running the ad and its $80.00 and they will ship.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/3395788780.html
Right off the back it looks like the mounting tabs are not under the snorkel but to the sides. Also made of LLDPE. I am not going to be the first mounting a $80 snorkel kit so dont even ask!

Does anybody have any pics of a truck in water deep enough to need a snorkel ? Are the purpose of these primarily aesthetics ?

plenty of people hydrolock rigs, a lot of people see it as a CAI, mine will be purely aesthetic since the rig never leaves the driveway.

If you don't think you'll need one, you prolly don't.

The 'purpose' is to raise the air intake up high so you don't suck in water and possibly hydrolock your engine, or worse. Some claim, on dusty trails, it get the intake out of the dust stream if you're following other vehicles. Plus one could add a "cyclonic" filter trap to the top of the snorkel, in place of the ram intake, to reduce fine dirt.

The USE? Most people never see water that deep, and even if I did, I'd turn around and go the other way because deep water can cause other issues. So for most it's gonna be an aesthetic addition, that does have a purpose and function.

As a necessity, it's really for those who have no choice other than crossing deep water to get to where they have to go.

That being said, I love they way they look, and if the need ever arises, I'm covered. At $400, I'd never touch one, but, as stated, at this price point, I'll bite.

:meh:

The only reason I would buy one would be for the dust.

When you are the last rig on a caravan of 5-6 in DV my air filter has taken a beating....
I think having a snorkel would help by doing a 180° turn on the air intake or as spike stated.. using a cyclonic filter trap....

Yes, I wont deny it... they make them rigs look more better....:hillbilly:

Ok, if we are talking cheap snorkel kits what about this one I saw on the local craigslist? They always seem to be running the ad and its $80.00 and they will ship.
Right off the back it looks like the mounting tabs are not under the snorkel but to the sides. Also made of LLDPE. I am not going to be the first mounting a $80 snorkel kit so dont even ask!

Do it! I am also a local, but I dont want to be the one who tries it. I feel safer for some reason with the $160 ebay model. They have a pretty high rating.

Well that have one less in stock now. Just got a reminder dad didn't by me a bday or Christmas present in 1976. Shame on him. Turns out he thought of me 16 years before I was born. :D

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

BINGO

and that's what the snorkel was designed for........DUST!

look at all the heavy equipment you see, they dont do water crossings.........they are in dirt and dust all day, the snorkel sits higher and often has a canister filter to trap dust

I ran my intake backward on my 80 series most the time, on or off road

do you need it for water crossing.....not really :D
18552514.jpg

The only reason I would buy one would be for the dust.

When you are the last rig on a caravan of 5-6 in DV my air filter has taken a beating....
I think having a snorkel would help by doing a 180° turn on the air intake or as spike stated.. using a cyclonic filter trap....

Yes, I wont deny it... they make them rigs look more better....:hillbilly:

the one in Port Orchard looks more like a universal fit not a direct fit like the others or Safari

Id go look at it but I hate CL freaks....:lol:

Come on....quality...smallity!

Landpimp,
Maybe you did not notice the name "Landcruiser" on the side of that $80 piece of plastic! So it is for Landcruisers! And...being that it SAYS "Landcruiser" it must be quality! Go get it, try it out and let us know how it works!:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom