1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap shocks to get me by

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Travis_Kinney, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Travis_Kinney

Travis_Kinney

I'd like to buy some cheap shocks just to get me by for another year. I'm not ready, quite yet to get the lift kit because of $$ issues, but I think my ride would be a whole lot more comfortable with some new shocks. Can anyone tell me what size to get for a standard setup, non lift kit 1969FJ40? Where should I buy them?

2. bsilva132

bsilva132

Media:
    Albums:
    DT3000's from summit racing ~$27. No sure on size though. They should be able to tell you though.

3. offcamber40

offcamber40

Exporer Pro-comps from 4wheelparts.com. I think they are $25.00 a piece and they work pretty well.

Mike

4. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Napa. The Blue ones.

5. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

I bought Monroes for 13.99 a piece. They worked well for a stock appliciation. Shocks will not make that much of a difference to a harsh ride though. But I do not think you can go wrong with those Gas Matic Monroes.

6. Mike S

Mike S

The stock OEM shocks are about $30 each and are very good. That's what I am running.

Mike S

7. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

If you get into the $30-$40 range you just might get shocks that will work now and after you gete a lift kit. You could also get gresable shackles and pins and still use them with the stock setup and the lift. Those will also help your ride. Shocks shackels and greasable pins do not come with the majority of lift kits, at least the Skyjacker ones.

8. Benji

Benji

I bought stock OEM shocks for my FJ60 for $21 a piece from the dealer. I get a discount through my local TLCA chapter, but either way they are cheap $27 w/o discount and made for the truck. They work fine until I get my lift. However, if you don't need shocks that bad, just save your money for the complete lift. Unless your shocks are totally shot, it's not going to make that much of a difference in your ride to buy this class of shocks. So yeah, just save your $$$ and go for the whole lift.
    :)

9. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree, don't $pend the dough on "temporary" shocks, put that hundy towards whatever suspension mods you want. During the resto process I drove mine W/O shocks and the only difference was the "bounce". If you have a lot of bounce after going over a bump or dip, then maybe you should replace for safety reasons.
    When I did put shocks on it I used ProComp 3000, I think SOR had a sale and all four were less that $100. They look nice, but ride quality, fuggettaboutit.
    Ed :)

10. tlcgear

tlcgear

I went to Autozone and bought some shocks for like $10.00 each. And they work just fine.

- Rico.

11. dd113

dd113

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">