Cheap Plasma cutter review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so I don't have $1400 to drop on a cut45 and the Harbor Freight one hasn't had a sale under $600 since I can remember. I was getting ready to build a CNC and stumbled across this model, set up a snipe in ebay and got it delivered for $295. Added another $40 and got 5 sets of torch consumables, I wasn't impressed when I opened the box, in fact the torch was playskoolish looking. That however changed when I got it fired up, this little effer is simply AMAZING for the $ and will open up new worlds for us part time fabbers.

Here are my in tommy mac character reviews of the LOTOS LT5000D plasma cutter
Lotos1review new - YouTube

lotos2review new - YouTube

Thanks, I decided to have fun with it since the HyperTherm guys were bashing it in another forum, don't get me wrong I'd love to have a $1000+ plasma cutter from Miller or HT if I had cash to burn, I don't. I'm now thinking about all the sawzall blades and cutting discs I won't have to buy plus the time saved being able to rough out things quickly will return my investment.

There are a few using them for plasma CNC's which is my intent, pretty affordable now to setup a simple 4x8 on chains and gears with small steppers since there isn't any lateral force, you basically knock off a generic BlackToe kit. I figure with this one I can buy another torch lead for about $40 and be able to swap it quickly when needed.

Plus the duty cycle on this one is 60% which is better than the cut45, no doubt in my mind the little bugger will sever 3/4", going to see if I can round some up this weekend and shoot another goofy vid.

I have a Cut 40 which probably has the same guts. Same box I do know though mine has a digital screen. Mine cost 450 and it rocks. No problem slicing through 1/2 steel. It's slow but who cares. Not as if we do this all day long. It has worked well the 2 years I've had it.

I was hoping someone that has had a lotos would chime in, how many tip consumables have you been thru since you've had it?

Good and funny review. Might have to look into getting one of these.

Thanks, I was tired of the Hypertherm bashers picking on equipment that us weekend garage warriors can afford. I plan on trying to sever some 3/4" this weekend and will try to post another video, this time maybe not in Tommy Mac character although it does lend for a good laugh!

OK so I don't have $1400 to drop on a cut45 and the Harbor Freight one hasn't had a sale under $600 since I can remember. I was getting ready to build a CNC and stumbled across this model, set up a snipe in ebay and got it delivered for $295. Added another $40 and got 5 sets of torch consumables, I wasn't impressed when I opened the box, in fact the torch was playskoolish looking. That however changed when I got it fired up, this little effer is simply AMAZING for the $ and will open up new worlds for us part time fabbers.

Here are my in tommy mac character reviews of the LOTOS LT5000D plasma cutter
Lotos1review new - YouTube

lotos2review new - YouTube

Great review, made me laugh too, thanks for sharing it.

warezdog, school me on how this ebay "snipe" business works. I went and looked up this plasma cutter on fleabay, and the closest I found (price wise) was around $350!

I'd love to have a plasma cutter for the kind of cheese you paid, any specifics you'll share?

A quick follow up:

After reading your thread, I went and schooled myself on the art of sniping bids, and used my new internet ninja skills to get a Lotos LT5000D for $279 delivered!! I'm excited about the newly developed options for fabricating a rear bumper for the LX. :)

Thanks for the public service on two different levels!!

A quick follow up:

After reading your thread, I went and schooled myself on the art of sniping bids, and used my new internet ninja skills to get a Lotos LT5000D for $279 delivered!! I'm excited about the newly developed options for fabricating a rear bumper for the LX. :)

That's a smoking deal. The cheapest I can find it is $350 free shipping. I'm gonna keep my eye out.

A quick follow up:

Was going to do the same thing for my LC but the IPOR is hard to beat price wise. Let me know if you fab something out. I was really intending on turning this into a plasma CNC via the blacktoe plans but well life has taken over.

Blew the radiator on the LC, after removing the top found that it was beyound rodding so did the shepperd auto thing and bought the aluminum for the 90-94 series for $117 shipped. But as we all know one thing leads to another, so while that was all out I opted to do the crank pulley seal, the oil pump seal, the distro O ring, remove pesky heater hose tube and go straight silicone hose all the way, removed rear pass heater core, flushed system and blah blah blah, hoping to fire it back up this weekend and finally finish what I started almost a year ago, the interior!

Had the lotos out and works like a champ. Glad you found snip.pl/en if you're buying on ebay and not using it then you're paying too much and not playing on a level field.

Gotta run, the LC is calling for more of my time, actually the rest of my free time!

Bringing this one back from the dead to ask a related question:

Does anyone know of a plasma cutter guide/wheel set that is a direct fit to the Lotos? My machine will cut like nobody's bidness, but my freehand style leaves much to be desired....

Still on my first set of consumables but I'm going to change them out before next project. For the money you just can't beat this thing. I had been set on a metal band saw but I'm thinking the sawzall will do the little stuff fine and anything else will get cut with plasma.

Just got the Longevity TIG160 ac/dc to do some aluminum, can't wait to get it set up this weekend and see how it works. From everything on weldingweb it will do 3/16 on a sinlge pass pretty well at 220V and for just over $600 to my door I'm stoked to be able to do SS and aluminum with a TIG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom