1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap labor in the US (body work on the 60)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    Well I have to get the drivers side of my 60 painted due to damage that was done by those two little ****s (use search)! But the other issue is that the rust is starting to reappear on the wheel wells, and on the lower parts on the doors. Also on the pass side half of the rocker is gone as well as the lower rear quater.
    After talking to some friends a few people tell me to go to a shop owned by a Mexican gentleman. Many people have told me that the quality of his work is good, and the price is even better. So he looks over my truck, and tells me that he wants to do metal replacement on the rusty parts, and of course the paint. HE comes up with a total of $2000.00, IMHO that is a lot of work for the price. The shop is not in a great place, but the yard has barbed wire. Am I nuts for thinking about the cheap labor. The friend he has used his shop a few times, thinks the owner still believes that he is still in Mexico and the price reflects that. It is amazing what labor costs in other parts of the world.

Zack

2. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Do you think the $2000.00 price tag sounds bout right?

Thanks,
    Zack

3. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

I backed into my garage with my door open on my 2000 Nissan truck (Ouch). I took my truck around for estimates, all the "regular" body shops used some "automatic" estimating software - all the estimates were within about $100 of each other, and very close to $1800.

I took my truck to a small shop in downtown Tucson, and got the job done for $550.

Anyway - the situations are a little different - but I think that the little guys can give you a good job for a lower price - especially if they have cheap labor costs.... if you know what I mean.

Good Luck

Rocky

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">