Cheap is good, 454 th400 and ???? swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know the owner and the 80 personally. Stock motor and an adult driver. Why have 408 hp if you aren’t going to use it??? This thread has white trash filling the spaces between the printed lines of nonsense.
I’m sure you know the owner, I wouldn’t doubt if you are one and the same due to the ignorance that come out of both of your 👄!!!! I mean what toyota man doesn’t know what a NCF is? The only reason I posted numbers was because of another poster ignorance claiming a bbc LE8 is only good for 200hp. To say a guy can’t have a bbc when his lover has a 6bt because of power is ignorant!!! Are you just throwing an emotional temper tantrum???

The funny part about this thread is that there's more in common than not. Big blocks, diesels, HP, turbos, axles, killin it offroad, talking the big talk, etc..... I bet all of these dudes would actually have a great time shooting the breeze in person while admiring and critiquing each others rigs.

As for @95BBC this is the warm mud welcome you were probably hoping for, spread among 45 posts, insults and all :flipoff2:

The funny part about this thread is that there's more in common than not. Big blocks, diesels, HP, turbos, axles, killin it offroad, talking the big talk, etc..... I bet all of these dudes would actually have a great time shooting the breeze in person while admiring and critiquing each others rigs.

As for @95BBC this is the warm mud welcome you were probably hoping for, spread among 45 posts, insults and all :flipoff2:

Thank you

The worst part is that these 2 live an hour away from me, it would have been cool to meet up and wheel FB5 at Browns camp or up in the snow by Olallie lake or Timothy lake. But.....

Thank you

The worst part is that these 2 live an hour away from me, it would have been cool to meet up and wheel FB5 at Browns camp or up in the snow by Olallie lake or Timothy lake. But.....

Don't sweat it its an internet forum. I can vouch that @baldilocks is one of the most knowledgeable folks on the 80 series, as is @shocktower. I'm not far away either (Sisters, OR) and there's a soild crew of landcruiser folks all around the PNW.

I’m sure you know the owner, I wouldn’t doubt if you are one and the same due to the ignorance that come out of both of your 👄!!!! I mean what toyota man doesn’t know what a NCF is? The only reason I posted numbers was because of another poster ignorance claiming a bbc LE8 is only good for 200hp. To say a guy can’t have a bbc when his lover has a 6bt because of power is ignorant!!! Are you just throwing an emotional temper tantrum???
No but you obviously are when you reply with disrespect and negativity to my suggestion of one ton axles which could very well address the driveline challenges you opened this thread with.

If I were to swap in a cummins or a V8 either one, it would be more for greater options in lower gearing rather than show off HP and the one ton axles with centered pinion in the rear would set you up for that 203/205 doubler or an atlas. I see no value in putting in the time and money for an engine swap if it’s going to reduce reliability.

I think over 300-400hp is pushing ones luck and running on the ragged edge. I'd rather not run things at 'with luck it will survive' or 'if I throw enough money at it, it might survive'.

There was a guy on the Con last weekend that blew out his semi-float 80 axle. He got VERY lucky that a cruiser guy was monitoring the HAM radio that knew another cruiser guy who was heading up to the Con that weekend who just happened to know a place in Sacramento where he could pick up that shaft.

I prefer not to be a trail boulder when I could have done a reasonable upgrade... especially since we are talking about an FJ80 that isn't going for 'muh Toyota' :meh:
With this rig I just want to get it running. My Exploder has a 5.0 running 5.13 Dana ttb 35 front axle with 44 knuckles and 8.8 rear, it was also my dual purpose play toy, sand snow and rocks. I plan on high pinion 60 and 70 in rear.

Plans for the fj80 is when the family wants to go this can go to the snow and sand. Wife hates the rocks. I can also daily drive it and I really think this thing would get as good as fuel economy as the 1fz with my stop and go 2.8 mile commute.

No but you obviously are when you reply with disrespect and negativity to my suggestion of one ton axles which could very well address the driveline challenges you opened this thread with.

If I were to swap in a cummins or a V8 either one, it would be more for greater options in lower gearing rather than show off HP and the one ton axles with centered pinion in the rear would set you up for that 203/205 doubler or an atlas. I see no value in putting in the time and money for an engine swap if it’s going to reduce reliability.

My disrespect? Who called names 1st? Who mocked my engine choice right after your buddy bragged about a torque monster running through the stock drivetrain?

Open your eyes please......

Tow cam bbc making 408hp is really nothing, I didn’t share it at first because of haters who don’t really understand those numbers. Why don’t you break down those numbers for us. It was on a engine dyno with long tube headers and electric water pump..... Go

I think over 300-400hp is pushing ones luck and running on the ragged edge. I'd rather not run things at 'with luck it will survive' or 'if I throw enough money at it, it might survive'.

There was a guy on the Con last weekend that blew out his semi-float 80 axle. He got VERY lucky that a cruiser guy was monitoring the HAM radio that knew another cruiser guy who was heading up to the Con that weekend who just happened to know a place in Sacramento where he could pick up that shaft.

I prefer not to be a trail boulder when I could have done a reasonable upgrade... especially since we are talking about an FJ80 that isn't going for 'muh Toyota' :meh:
You can build a 80 series rear axle to be pretty strong nowadays. They make 32 spline chromoly shafts for it now.

I understand the 'get it running'. Trying to compare a 8.8 surviving behind a 5.0L engine isn't remotely close to comparing a 9.x axle behind a big block.

And what is the cost? With the Toyota stuff, my bench building show that by the time you get it to 'a little stronger' than a stock Dana 60, you've spent as much or more than a stock Dana 60... and you have limited gear choices and no further upgrade path :meh:

As an example, I can buy a stock Ford e350 van full float disc braked Dana 60 for $350 or much less everyday... I've done this three times now without even trying to find a Pick-n-pull or a friend of a friend 'steal'. It comes stock with 32 spline shafts and is ready for 35 spline with a simple stock side gear swap(free to $50). ~$400 gets you 35 spline Chromo shafts. In order to get 32 spline shafts into an LC axle, don't you have to change the diff to go from 30 spline to 32 spline since 32 spline isn't stock? I forget the number thrown at me on getting 35 spline ARB for an LC but I want to say it was $500 in addition to the ARB.

If you jumped into the SD front axles, you easily have a 40 spline upgrade path:eek: And from what I've seen, the SD front axles are much cheaper than kingpin Dana 60s. If I wasn't locked into the Dodge eco system, I would have gone the SD route.

But, this argument is somewhat moot since the OP seems dead set on using the FJ axles.
Who said I’m building these axles 😂 I’m getting it running, you reply was helpful in the way that I should really try to get the 205 to work now and then in the future I have an easier upgrade path.

This thread was all I expected it to be. Some 80 guys hating on a weird swap that makes no sense to them, other being helpful and the s*** posting. If the goal is to just get it up and running then the 8p axles will be fine. If it changed to harder wheeling I'd agree on upgrading to tons. I don't see a big block Chevy ruining the LC rear axle on sand or snow even with a lead foot.

Just thought I'd leave this here:

Once upon a time I had a old school Jeep Cherokee. It was a BW1339 quadratrac truck. I eventually swapped the stock drivetrain out for a LS 5.3, NV3500, and NP241. Kept the stock D44 offset axles with the centered rear output of the NP241. Worked fine for the 35,000 miles I put on that combo. Single ujoints on the rear shaft too.

Once upon a time I had a old school Jeep Cherokee. It was a BW1339 quadratrac truck. I eventually swapped the stock drivetrain out for a LS 5.3, NV3500, and NP241. Kept the stock D44 offset axles with the centered rear output of the NP241. Worked fine for the 35,000 miles I put on that combo. Single ujoints on the rear shaft too.
Do you miss her?

Thank you, this is the information I like, real world data. I just need to make it fit with the stock tank. I’m still looking for a split case from a fj60.

looking for a split case from a fj60.

Good choice. BTW, when i said the 454 is only 200hp I figured you weren't intending on any upgrade at all and where just wanting to insert it as it comes out of the K30. obviously BBC has massive power potential NA.
Also, I am all for encouraging trying what everyone says won't work

I understand the 'get it running'. Trying to compare a 8.8 surviving behind a 5.0L engine isn't remotely close to comparing a 9.x axle behind a big block.

And what is the cost? With the Toyota stuff, my bench building show that by the time you get it to 'a little stronger' than a stock Dana 60, you've spent as much or more than a stock Dana 60... and you have limited gear choices and no further upgrade path :meh:

As an example, I can buy a stock Ford e350 van full float disc braked Dana 60 for $350 or much less everyday... I've done this three times now without even trying to find a Pick-n-pull or a friend of a friend 'steal'. It comes stock with 32 spline shafts and is ready for 35 spline with a simple stock side gear swap(free to $50). ~$400 gets you 35 spline Chromo shafts. In order to get 32 spline shafts into an LC axle, don't you have to change the diff to go from 30 spline to 32 spline since 32 spline isn't stock? I forget the number thrown at me on getting 35 spline ARB for an LC but I want to say it was $500 in addition to the ARB.

If you jumped into the SD front axles, you easily have a 40 spline upgrade path:eek: And from what I've seen, the SD front axles are much cheaper than kingpin Dana 60s. If I wasn't locked into the Dodge eco system, I would have gone the SD route.

But, this argument is somewhat moot since the OP seems dead set on using the FJ axles.
Well a 1 ton is perhaps less expensive but its significantly heavier and a fair amount of fab work has to be done to swap it in but a decent option. Installing axle shafts and a 100 series 3rd member is fairly expensive, but pretty straight forward and would be strong enough for most peoples uses of a 80 series.

Thank you

Oh come on, it's the interwebs and we give people a little flack, when the do something different , we give them a hard time especially, a new guy 🤣 .

I really wouldn't trust the stock FJ80 axles behind any modest amount of power. My 472 cady FJ55 is getting 35 spline Dana 60s to ensure no issues ;) On the other hand, my 6.0L and turbo 5.3L got the exact same treatment ;) If I hadn't already been locked into a king pin setup, I would have done F350 Super Duty front axle... it at least has a 40 spline upgrade path.

My 472 is getting 3.54 gears and 35" tires to handle the 'speed' issue. On the other hand, I can't get out of the hills that I live in in under 30 miles 🤣

As somewhat already noted, Northwest Fab actually makes a Turbo 400 to FJ80 case. The OP noted that the price was pretty damn high and required a different output shaft as well as a stock Chevy adapter in addition to their adapter. At the price quoted, he might see if they have a Blackbox available for the FJ80 case. Or drop kick the FJ80 and go with a split case if offset tcase is desirable. If not, maybe just head straight for an Atlas or Dana 300.

Where did you find 3.54 gears the only place I have located is Australia, the price is not bad, but you'll need some parts from a 100 series rear end to make it fit in your 80 rear end

Oh come on, it's the interwebs and we give people a little flack, when the do something different , we give them a hard time especially, a new guy 🤣 .

That’s how this place works, my bad 😂🤣

You have me intrigued about the viability of mating the 454 to the a343f.

If you make a343f adapters to lazy bellhousing people would love it!!!

Last edited:
That’s how this place works, my bad 😂🤣

You have me intrigued about the viability of mating the 454 to the a343f.

If you make a343f adapters to lazy bellhousing people would love it!!!

Well I have the 343 mated to my Cummins 6bt, I have a modified torque converter that bolts to the Dodge flex plate . I am unaware of one for the BBC but maybe an adapter plate and modified Torque Converter , I don't know the bolt pattern of the chevy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom