Cheap Good Synthetic at Walmart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey for all of you who are on the fence about using Synthetic, there is a compromise. Walmart carries Shell Rotela 5w-40 Synthetic (it is a group III+ basestock) for $12.84 per gallon. While it isn't quite as good as Mobil 1, for the price ($3.20 quart) it is a great deal. Should be good for all climates.

Cary

Isn't the gallon of M1 within a couple of dollars of that? I'll stick with M1, even on my limited student budget.

M1 here is 18 a gallon
was thinking of trying it, always used dino oil just out of habit and cause of the old myths about leaking more in high mileage cars.
since the price of oil went up last year the price of synthetics doesnt seem that bad
changed the oil in one of my vehicles and bought a case of pennzoil last year was 10 or so, few days later was 18 and hasnt gone down since

My usual Oil is Valvoline Super Diesel 15W/40 CH-4/SJ which I bought 20Litres of from Super Cheap Auto for $69.95, But I went when they had a 25% off day so I got it for $2.623125 per Litre. :D Caltex Havoline Delo 400 in a 206Litre drum works out to be about $3.10 per Litre. :( I could go to an Australia Made and Owned Synthetic Oil: Penrite Japan Truck/European Truck/USA Truck all availible in either 15W/40 and 25W/60, But at $28.95 for 5Litres($5.79 per Litre) :eek: Probably would use the Penrite Synthetics in a new Car, But I can't justify it in my B. Other Penrite Diesel Engine Oils are Light Truck(15W/40) and HPR Truck(25W/60), But these are Mineral.

I know that walmart has the M1 5w-30 & 10w-30 in 5quart packages for $18, but they don't have the 0w-40, and that runs $5 a quart. For those that want a heavier alternative but don't want to spent $5 a quart the Shell is a good option.

We should consider ourselves lucky in the US. From what I have seen on bobistheoilguy, oil in Europe runs from $3-5 per liter for mineral and about $10 per liter for synthetic.

Cary

I paid 16 Euro for a quart of Mobile 1 in Germany last year!!!!!!!!! I only needed about 8 ounces to top off the BMW R 1100S that I was riding on the Autobahn.

What a waste and rip off......it was at a service center in Southern Germany.

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#msg27651 date=1058538890]
I know that walmart has the M1 5w-30 & 10w-30 in 5quart packages for $18, but they don't have the 0w-40, and that runs $5 a quart. For those that want a heavier alternative but don't want to spent $5 a quart the Shell is a good option.[/quote]

WalMart also has Mobil 1 15W-50 in the 5 quart jug for $18.88. That's what I run in my FJ62 year round. It sounds heavy but the truck starts easier in the winter than it did with dino oil 10W-30.

Synth rules!

Thanks Cary.
I just saw the Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic at Wally World. I've searched high and low for Mobile 1 0w-40 with no luck. I ran Rotella in my F250 with no complaints, and saw this stuff on the counter and grabbed a couple of gallons. I rushed back to the computer to drop you a question about the 5w-40 and ....Lookie there, you already had it covered. 8)
Since my box of 20004 filters arrived today (courtesy of Cruiserdan) it time to change some oil.

CJ

In the short time I've been lurking here, I've noticed that predominatly mobile (amisol?, but I'm talking store bought) is the oil people are using??? Just curious as to the reason behind this if any?

Cheers

Target usually has M1 for cheaper than Wallyworld where I am from in Oregon. Last time I bought it there it was under $4 a quart for 10W-30. The jug is still cheaper at Wallyworld, but Target is a good alternative.

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#msg27800 date=1058585733]
Target usually has M1 for cheaper than Wallyworld where I am from in Oregon. Last time I bought it there it was under $4 a quart for 10W-30. The jug is still cheaper at Wallyworld, but Target is a good alternative.
[/quote]Target has the highest price in town for Mobil-1 here in Boise. I used to buy it at the Target in Scottsdale, AZ, but they are no longer a discount store. Costco has the lowest price.

Problem w/ the M1 10w30/5w30 is the viscosity is kind of thin compared to the m1 0w40, M1 Delvac 5w40, or Rotella T syn 5w40. The latter three have comparable viscosities. I guess an economical way is to run the 10w30 in the fall-spring, then 15w50 in the summer, but I don't like having to stock some many different types of oil. Nice thing about the 0w40, besides being superior to the normal M1's, is you can run it year 'round in any gasoline engine. It's easier for me to get D1 where I am (being near I-10).

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#msg27966 date=1058675080]
Costco has the lowest price.
[/quote]

Costco in Medford, OR (Home) had a case which totalled out to $3.99 per quart. Target was underselling that by approximately a quarter per quart. I'm in Utah now, so not sure where the deal is yet. Mind you, this is all 10W-30 M1.

[quote author=Jomama link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#msg27793 date=1058582880]
In the short time I've been lurking here, I've noticed that predominatly mobile (amisol?, but I'm talking store bought) is the oil people are using??? Just curious as to the reason behind this if any?

Cheers
[/quote]

Reasons for using Mobil 1:

1) It is the only widely available synthetic in the US using Group IV basestocks instead of Group III+ (only other two synthetics in the US using Group IV & V are AmsOil and Redline).

2) Easily available. Mobil 1 is available everywhere.

3) Cost- Less than the botique oils.

4) Reputation- It is speced by name by Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Austin Martin, Calloway, Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper, Ford Mustang SVT.

Others may have other reasons.

Cary

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#msg28012 date=1058711322]
Others may have other reasons.
Cary
[/quote]

I like the packaging. :D

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=3756;start=0#msg28012 date=1058711322]
Reasons for using Mobil 1:

1) It is the only widely available synthetic in the US using Group IV basestocks instead of Group III+ (only other two synthetics in the US using Group IV & V are AmsOil and Redline).

Cary
[/quote]

Don't forget that German-made Castrol-Syntec 0w30 that everyone on the www.bobistheoilguy.com forumn raves about. I've yet to see it on a store shelf. Might be more common in certain parts of the country.

-Jim

Hello all! First time poster. Greetings from ABQ, NM.

I am not sure but I thought I got a really good deal at Super Wal-Mart. For someone lazy like me and especially in this 100 degree heat, I went to SWM and got a Full Synthetic oil change plus 15 point inspection with top offs for $30- up to 5 qts.. They will let you change their "promoted" brand of Pennzoil to any oil of your choosing that they carry so I asked for Mobil 1 10W30 Full Synthetic (which is btw no extra upcharge). They did add I think 3 extra quarts so I was charged the shelf price (4.77/qt) for that. All in all - it beats the pain of doing the change myself in this heat and I got to wait around browsing in the air conditioning of Wal-Mart. Total cost all in all was $44 including tax - seems to me that all I basically paid for was the oil itself as if I had bought the oil right off the shelf.

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom