Cheap Drills ....&%$§" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40-GARAGE

I`ll be back....
Threads
Website
www.fj40-garage.de
Seed Peanuts and you will earn Monkeys!

92550-bohrer-001.jpg

a proper Pic tells more than 100 words, or would you believe what you see otherwise?

3.5mm *HSS* Drill from a Mailorder Shop, complete set of 10 drills for 2.50 Euros.

At least it´s not broken.........
Gummi.gif

some things you just can't skimp on, drill bits are one of those things. i always buy quality bits. usaully nachi brand.

Agree, get yourself a nice set. It may cost more in the short run, but nothing worse than trying to get something done and doing so using a handheld turd.

dewalt if you want good; black & decker if you want to take it back after you use it. i.e. wal-mart. I only go for the best tools. Come on, don't skimp on your tool box. That is the most important box you will ever have.

benji - dewalt = turd.

Get some good ones, made in USA like Cleveland, Chicago Latrobe etc. Will last a long time.

I just baught some Cobalt bits because they work better on metal. One bit broke, and they weren't cheap. It was one of the smaller dia. bits though.

go to your local ace hardware and talk to the old guy that works there that you know you can trust. tell him what you are going to be doing and he will set you up. I was going to buy a complete set up to 3/4 for like half a grand when this old timer told me to go with the ace set. they are made in the US, good quality, and the local ace will replace them if they ever break. i was sold. oh and they are cobalt

Wildman - only partly true. They are usually the most expensive, but not necessarily the best :flipoff2:

Remember any drill bit you buy isn't going to drill you a perfectly round hole anyway. Most of the shiney gold jobs you buy at homeodeopits are crap. If you want a good set, but an American made set and take care of it. You'll only have to replace the ones your break and if you use them with the proper speed and force, you'll likely break only a few.

Whatever you buy will do a better job and last longer if you invest in a jug of coolant and a squirt bottle. Even though the shop supplies my bits, I've learned to make them last.

[quote author=cavsfj40 link=board=14;threadid=12586;start=msg132830#msg132830 date=1081134509]
go to your local ace hardware and talk to the old guy that works there that you know you can trust. tell him what you are going to be doing and he will set you up. [/quote]
I'd say this is a bit of a bold statement...I've been to local hardware stores alot, and unfortunately usually the person there knows little to nothing about anything. I ask about a drillbit, they point me to the drillbits...I ask about a specific bolt, they mumble something and point over to the bolts...I realize there are helpful hardware people out there, but in my experiences YOU know more what you want/need than any of them will. (Also you CARE to get the right part/bolt/thing, they typically don't)

I haven't had quite as bad of experience with drill bits, but I have with drills, I have a nice Milwaukee 18volt cordless, was browsing the Net and found this: http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_tol_hlfelechammdril.html I figured, how bad could a 1/2" drill that costs $5.99 be...well it does spin, has NO power at all, couldn't even drill through wood, has maybe 1/5 of the power of my 18volt cordless. Whenever you power it up it smells like it will burnup. I used it to drill through my desk to mount a vise...I almost got through ONE hole, I swear it was going to catch fire...OMG! It's hard to say it but it isn't worth $5.99! My cordless drill rocks compared to this crap!

Later..
Mark Brodis

Ha, that sounds like my $15 angle grinder. At the end, the shower of sparks wasn't coming off the steel I was grinding! I've got a Craftsman 1/2" 19.6V (I think) drill I recently bought for work, nice tool. The extra capacity chuck is real handy, plenty of torque, and not too heavy for frequent use. Some of those big batteries get heavy after a while.

For the drill bits, get good quality, learn to sharpen them on a grinder, use the right technique, speed, pressure etc and you'll be fine. Good quaility like Precision Twist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom