Cheap cv joints ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, and don't. OEM toyota birfield Is about 600. You can find decent aftermarket for Approx. 250. OEM joints are usually O K they just need molly grease. Good Luck. !

My rig is just used for expo camping trips and light rides. All that it is up to doin on 33" tires anyways. I'm pretty tempted to try them. They come with a one year warranty also. Well, if I do try them I'll give a review here.

IME the really cheap CV joints are likely poorly made parts from China. I had a set a few years ago and found machine tool chatter marks, bits of metal shavings and rough edges, and the base of the cup or bell of the birfs that appeared unfinished. Compared to an OEM CV joint it looked like the Chinese manufacturer skipped a few finishing steps while using dull bits on a poorly calibrated worn out machine. Seeing all that I then started to wonder about the metallurgy and sent them back to the retailer. FWIW.

Have never seen a Febest, but have installed a few of the CV Unlimited units. They look to be well made, the biggest tire run is 315 and none wheeled hard, but no failures. Judging by the verbiage and address, this is likely one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...Parts_Accessories&hash=item41883be6c8&vxp=mtr

I just put a set of these in my rig. They looked to be well made and well finished. I have only put a few miles on them thus far but no more clicking coming from the front end since the install. I will likely do some light wheeling with them as the 40 is my true wheeler. If I were to buy the $50 in the OP I don't think I would ever be comfortable wheeling it. But for a pavement queen, maybe I'd give them a go.

I've been using a set of Nitro birfs for a couple years. They've held up to the rigors of mall crawling and the occasional forest road. If I were rock crawling I'd use OEM.

I installed a set of the aftermarket birfs that Slee sells about a year ago and have had no issues. I was impressed with there quality. The plus side is they were affordable and even though I primarily use OEM parts, I couldn't afford the price of the OEM birfs.

I had my front end rebuilt with nitro a year and a half ago, I wheel most weekends, and they worked out really well.

Interestingly enough, they actually sent me two sets of front ends so I could've done two Land Cruisers. I called them back and they said whoops will you please send us those back? I did.

So I bit the bullet and got a couple of these cheapos for trail spares. They don't look bad. No strange tool marks or chatter (unlike my OEM joints that have some tool marks on the bell where it doesn't count. They look more like the OEM joints than other Chinese Birfields I have seen that have a machined groove around the middle of the bell. I don't think I will be trying these out for the long run, but if I use one as a spare and it breaks, I will let you know. They may not be the finest, but they are fe best that this PWT can afford for spares.

IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG

So I bit the bullet and got a couple of these cheapos for trail spares. They don't look bad. No strange tool marks or chatter (unlike my OEM joints that have some tool marks on the bell where it doesn't count. They look more like the OEM joints than other Chinese Birfields I have seen that have a machined groove around the middle of the bell. I don't think I will be trying these out for the long run, but if I use one as a spare and it breaks, I will let you know. They may not be the finest, but they are fe best that this PWT can afford for spares.

View attachment 1036697 View attachment 1036698
Hey just wanted to follow up to see how those joints are holding up. Ive tried to find them but cant. All i see from google is nitro as it seems like the only option. Wanted to get something cheap. I may possible get oem but not sure what the cost is. Please let me know. :)

I haven't put them in yet because my OEM CV joints are OK. I just carry them as spares on the trail. I'm waiting on someone else to be the Guinea pig and see if these $50 Chinese birfs can hold up.

Amazon sells them. Search for "Febest Landcruiser CV"

Last edited:
I haggled a deal on ebay for 2 longfield birfield cv for $300 shipped. The china one is tempting but damn i cant trust the mainland china stuff enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom