Cheap Aftermarket / Junkyard Seats and Corbeau Brackets, am I Crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. i'm 6'3" and after watching the video on the Land-Tank seat extension it's just not something i'm going to do. My question is, you often see aftermarket manual seats for reasonable prices (or junkyard seats), and i keep coming across these Corbeau brackets for $125 a piece. The brackets seem to just be flat tops with bolt holes...

My question is, what is the likelihood i can find a set of cheap seats or junkyard seats and just bolt them to these corbeau brackets and be on my way? I'm seriously at the point where i'm starting to regret selling my 100 for this 80 for a bunch of reasons, and not being able to sit comfortably has me close to the edge of just putting it up for sale. When i test drove it the electric seats weren't working and the liar who sold it to me said they go back farther they're just stuck. Now i know that's not true and i'm just fuming.

May want to poke around in here before jumping ship.

May want to poke around in here before jumping ship.

how this hasn't come up in my like 4 days of searching i don't know. but i do thank you very kindly for this.

You're not the first to struggle with being over 6' in a 80. Some it just never worked, some have found solutions from cheap to primo.

You're not the first to struggle with being over 6' in a 80. Some it just never worked, some have found solutions from cheap to primo.
i like cheap. this 80 was an emotional purchase for me. i went from a perfectly working 99 LX470 to this, and the guy basically concealed like 100 little issues and about 50 major issues with it so i've just been DUMPING money into it i'll never see again (after already overpaying for it... 80 series tax is real). It's currently at the shop having the seized viscous coupler removed because i didn't have a half a day to do it myself.

@BigSh00ts hang in there man, once you get it sorted the spending should slow way down and you should be able to focus more on just enjoying the 80

Regarding searching the forums I typically drop something like the following into Google:

80 series seat swap site:forum.ih8mud.com​
You can modify the text before "site:forum.ih8mud.com" to your liking but the above search catches a lot of related content. While they aren't usually simple I think seat swaps are fun projects, the impact of them is immediately apparent and usually worth the effort.

@BigSh00ts hang in there man, once you get it sorted the spending should slow way down and you should be able to focus more on just enjoying the 80

Regarding searching the forums I typically drop something like the following into Google:

You can modify the text before "site:forum.ih8mud.com" to your liking but the above search catches a lot of related content. While they aren't usually simple I think seat swaps are fun projects, the impact of them is immediately apparent and usually worth the effort.
thank you. yeah i didn't think to use the "site:" in google on this particular search. I definitely shouldhave

Landtank... something I’m not going to do...I like cheap....Currently in the shop...

You need to enjoy wrenching if an 80 and “cheap” are going to coexist.

If you don’t absolutely love solid axles, you may grow to resent the 80, this goes double at your height. I’m a little guy and I couldn’t fathom the shin splints from the gas pedal.

Landtank... something I’m not going to do...I like cheap....Currently in the shop...

You need to enjoy wrenching if an 80 and “cheap” are going to coexist.

If you don’t absolutely love solid axles, you may grow to resent the 80, this goes double at your height. I’m a little guy and I couldn’t fathom the shin splints from the gas pedal.
i very much enjoy wrenching when it's mods, or every once in a while, but this thing was an absolute POS dressed up like a prom queen when i got it. Windows were kludged (zip tied from the inside), leaks here ant there that were easily fixed, radio/speaker issues, etc. etc. etc. etc... all relatively minor stuff but it's just been PILING UP.

i went to the 80 from the 100 for the ease of lift and off-road ability of solid axles, and now i kind of wish i'd just lifted the 100 2.5 inches and stuffed 35s under it. as for not wanting to do the lant-tank seat mod, that's not because i don't have the ability, it's because i like to be able to put things back to stock for one, and two, god forbid i screw it up now i'm out whatever new seat rails cost (and they seem VERY easy to screw up from the videos and instructions).

I always use googs to search like that as well. Nice of you to point that out.

i very much enjoy wrenching when it's mods, or every once in a while, but this thing was an absolute POS dressed up like a prom queen when i got it. Windows were kludged (zip tied from the inside), leaks here ant there that were easily fixed, radio/speaker issues, etc. etc. etc. etc... all relatively minor stuff but it's just been PILING UP.

i went to the 80 from the 100 for the ease of lift and off-road ability of solid axles, and now i kind of wish i'd just lifted the 100 2.5 inches and stuffed 35s under it. as for not wanting to do the lant-tank seat mod, that's not because i don't have the ability, it's because i like to be able to put things back to stock for one, and two, god forbid i screw it up now i'm out whatever new seat rails cost (and they seem VERY easy to screw up from the videos and instructions).

There is a huge techno-generational gap between this platform and the Toyota’s made after it.

It’s pretty awesome once you wrap your head around the fact that you just bought your first Restomod vehicle, with an initial emphasis on the Resto portion.

Yes, you’ll be doing things you never considered before like rebuilding power steering pumps, window motors, weather seals, gaskets, etc.

Yes, you will screw stuff up. Sometimes it will be big, but it will be small for the most part. If you start diving into it, you’ll be amazed by the parts and knowledge support on these rigs.

Do your searches through Google by typing...”issue/problem...FZJ80...ih8mud. Learn to love partsouq.com and Joseph at Absolute Wits End and the fact that there is no longer an IFS pan to trap your dropped wrenches and bolts.

Your height is a serious matter though, and that needs to be addressed first. Is this your only vehicle?

There is a huge techno-generational gap between this platform and the Toyota’s made after it.

It’s pretty awesome once you wrap your head around the fact that you just bought your first Restomod vehicle, with an initial emphasis on the Resto portion.

Yes, you’ll be doing things you never considered before like rebuilding power steering pumps, window motors, weather seals, gaskets, etc.

Yes, you will screw stuff up. Sometimes it will be big, but it will be small for the most part. If you start diving into it, you’ll be amazed by the parts and knowledge support on these rigs.

Do your searches through Google by typing...”issue/problem...FZJ80...ih8mud. Learn to love partsouq.com and Joseph at Absolute Wits End and the fact that there is no longer an IFS pan to trap your dropped wrenches and bolts.

Your height is a serious matter though, and that needs to be addressed first. Is this your only vehicle?
Haha I'm telativeky advanced mechanically and typically do all my own mods. I just have a weird thing about trying to do only mods that can be reversed, and ss for screwing things up, I have a 5 days a week job and a 2 year old so my daily driver vehicle can't be out of commission for long periods.

Daily driver? That will make things a little tougher until it’s sorted out. I HATED having to do work in a single car situation.

yeah it's unfortunate but i'm not in a position to have a second vehicle just yet.
It’s a tough jump to go from the Toyota 100/120 platform back to the 80. Same goes for jumping from the Tacoma platform back to the Hilux.

The sub turn of the century platforms were absolutely robust and still be serviced in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse or Bush War. That robustness comes at a price as they run so long and often get abused as result.

The Yotas built after 2000 and prior to the current models are technological wonders that simply run every day and maintenance almost being a suggestion rather than a requirement. The price of ownership is that they are tougher to service.

Hang in there and concentrate on the restoration part. If you can, hook up with a local cruiser head and get help installing the Landtank brackets and some Gamiviti seat gears. Like window tint, those are two mods no one will ever not want. You could also sell your modded seats for trade and cash.

The cool part about 80 ownership, your ride is appreciating rather than depreciating.

It’s a tough jump to go from the Toyota 100/120 platform back to the 80. Same goes for jumping from the Tacoma platform back to the Hilux.

The sub turn of the century platforms were absolutely robust and still be serviced in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse or Bush War. That robustness comes at a price as they run so long and often get abused as result.

The Yotas built after 2000 and prior to the current models are technological wonders that simply run every day and maintenance almost being a suggestion rather than a requirement. The price of ownership is that they are tougher to service.

Hang in there and concentrate on the restoration part. If you can, hook up with a local cruiser head and get help installing the Landtank brackets and some Gamiviti seat gears. Like window tint, those are two mods no one will ever not want. You could also sell your modded seats for trade and cash.

The cool part about 80 ownership, your ride is appreciating rather than depreciating.

Yeah man that's the truth. I would love to meet some local cruiser guys. i actually saw a grey one lifted on 35s this morning and what looked like a gamaviti rack and i spent a few minutes this morning trying to find him in the Florida land cruiser Facebook group with no luck. I may reconsider the land-tank brackets if i can't find a "junkyard" solution. And yeah i guess it's just a waiting game at this point. My 80 is an LX450 so it's not really appreciating at the same rate as the toyotas and has some minor carfax history, but hopefully the ends will justify the means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom