Chat in the 80s forum (1 Viewer)

IS there too much non-tech chatter going on?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When this forum becomes downloadable, I could try, in my free time while on the road, to make some FAQ to make as a sticky.

I like it just the way it is. I view the 80s Tech as more of an 80s community than tech alone. For instance...if I were to post a comment about the following in any other section, it would likely elicit a WTF response, while people here would know exactly what I was talking about:

Pristine....
Gotta feed his Dogs...
Custom Curtains on a "poser" rig...
At least four paragraphs...
Too much diet coke and carnage...
ARB fridge instead of a passenger seat...too darn heavy anyhow.

Just to name a few. (If you don't know....start reading the entire SOR archive, then start from the exodus here to the present...)

My point is that I feel that I have quite a few friends on this site; have gotten to know the regulars pretty well and some joking between the group is both expected and enjoyable.

So there!

...BTW, finding the site of my avatar would probably have a more detrimental effect on young children than any mammaries....

-H-

Please, leave well enough alone! A little levity and a little junk are always good. I don't thing we are too overboard on either. I've been on other boards where the owner got a little overboard with some sensorship and a good portion of great informative people left and formed their own board. I don't want that to happen here as well, not that there is any heavy handed sensorship now, there isn't and that's a good thing.

Keep up all your efforts Woody. It will all work in the end, except for Junk! :flipoff2:

not sure on the software feasibility, but is there a feature to show only the new posts since you last viewed a thread? That would save some time I guess.

Simon,

If you click on the "new" box to the left of the thread title it will take you to where you last left off in the thread.

[quote author=Shortbus link=board=2;threadid=10564;start=msg95631#msg95631 date=1075148920]
This was my only remaining forum. It was nice as it was.....
Guess I'll get the popcorn and watch the implosion. :(
[/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :mad: Nothing's changed, I was just looking for input.

Sheesh.

semlin,

That's what the big red NEW is for next to messages. If a red NEW then there are new messages. Click on the NEW button and not the thread name and you will be taken to the first message since you last viewed that message. Try it.

Does this response qualify me as an assistant admin now Woody, or just an ass admin? :D

WARNING, HUMOR TO BE ATTEMPTED:

Gummer,

Brent is one of those auditor types....... :rolleyes:

Does that tell you anything. ;)

yes but that still loads the whole thread, hence supercharged Phil's problem with loading time is not fixed. If you had the option of loading only the new posts, you would perhaps save some time and bandwidth by not having to reload all of Junk's previous flipoffs.

[quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=10564;start=msg95618#msg95618 date=1075147011]
with some sensorship :
[/quote]

"sensorship"....guess that makes this post qualify as "tech" :D

Ed

s***...I typed up a nice well thought opinion, and this useless forum dumped it on me....

damn, I wish that pathetic admin would get off his sorry ass and move this POS somewheres reliable...

:flipoff2:

i like the idea of a chat section in the 80's forum. Dont like the thought of sensorship, unless someones harassing someone for real. Have noticed some newbies coming in here getting their panties in a bind cause of some responses by addicts and such that were meant in good fun- if your new, take some time to read the regulars posts so you can figure out what a joke is.

Long as theres no posts of Junks mommas pics well all be happy :flipoff2:

I appreciated Shortbus's previous avatar, with the bouncing boobs more. However I can appreciate that turning avatars off or having a rating system to turn ones off rated 35% or such would be good if possible for work or wife/kids ;)

Just a thought, but seems that posts on what to look for in a 80, best 80, what tire to buy, etc. are among the most asked and most annoying as theres usually 4 or five posts on the same topic. Could there be a review section for tires?
perhaps a link to top 10 or so asked questions? :beer:

k, theres 4 paragraphs or so. btw, I dont normally mind pics posted directly as am on cable, dialup sucks :flipoff2: however, it has been slow lately, looking forward to the move.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=10564;start=msg95637#msg95637 date=1075149815]
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :mad: Nothing's changed, I was just looking for input.

Sheesh.
[/quote]

Sorry..... I'm a pessimist by nature. Just seen this happen SEVERAL times on my favorite forums. Shouldn't draw conclusions based on my previous experience with online forum cycles. And I'm sure that 7 hours of sleep total in the last 3 nites doesn't help my outlook either. :whoops:

Sincerely hope that it doesn't happen to your place. Good luck. :)

Cdan,

Ouch, I think. LOL! :D

All right. As this thread disolves in to silliness, it no longer needs to be stickied to the top.

My .02 analysis of the poll results -

Most people like it the way it is, more or less.

Many people want less chat so some degree.

Pretty much everybody wants me to leave 'em alone. :D

So, if it's obviously chat, post it to the chat forum. I have heard from some non-80s types expressing displeasure at "80s chat" in the subject line. This is a Land Cruiser forum and need not be exclusionary between series. Just because the 80 is the pinnicle of LC technology is no reason to be elitist. As long as you don't bring your damn Heep in here, you're OK by us.

I will fade into the background and go back to not doing much about anything. I vow to always use my powers for good, not evil, except to occasionally modify a Junk post to make him look bad. If nothing else the thread served to make us all aware to some extent how others felt about the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom