1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat in the 80s forum

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Gumby, Jan 24, 2004.

IS there too much non-tech chatter going on?

1. 0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

There's been some discussions here and there about the level of chat in the 80s section. I could see where the traffic volume is getting high enough where it could be difficult to wade through to get to the good stuff. I can also see the comaraderie that is infuenced by and causes the lively banter.

I can easily see this forum becoming THE place on the web for the 80s crowd. How can I help that to happen?

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Not sure how I can help. But recently I had a trip to Minneapolis as I do travel around from time to time for work. I realise that posting in this forum about meeting up with fellow 80 owners that I've come to know through this forum was not a tech post but I did want to be sure they got it. I got home last night from that trip and while I could get here to read the posts there was no way I could cover everything which would include the chit-chat section of the site as I was on dialup.

3. Rich

Rich

I 'm not much given to complain about internet behavior as it rarely has a positive outcome, and usually just generates heat, and heating up the internet does not appeal to me :). But since input is being solicated, and since I would like to see this site continue to grow, here's my two cents.

My primary objective in reading the forums is to get tech info on 80s. What works, what breaks, how to fix, how to improve, where to buy parts and equipment. The sharing of people's personal experiences is very valuable. To this end I have read all of the postings that relate to the above topics going back to the very first posts, both here, and in egroups, SOR archives, LCML, and a few more. I expect many people are not motivated to make the time to do the same. Without a high speed connection it would be almost impossible.

It is interesting to observe that when a new person post's a typical new person's question, they are likely to be admonished to search the forum, with an explanation that "we already talked about that" with the implication that further discussion of a previous topic is unwanted, boring, uninteresting, waste of time, or just a sign of laziness on the new person's part. On the other hand, many people are very happy to fill up a technical post with happy chatter that provides no tech content at all. What I like the least is chatter that, as a form of humor, is intentionally rude and obnoxious, which is becoming very prevalent. I'm easy going and relaxed discussions are a joy, extremely rigid forum moderation is an irritant, but I would be much happier to see the tech forum posts remain on topic, at bit more restraint on the number of jabber posts in the tech forum, and a lot more restraint on the intentionally obnoxious posts in the tech forum.

These are my preferences, they are offered in the spirit of sharing, and are not intended to be critical of any individuals in any kind of mean spirited way.

Rich

4. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

I try to keep it tech like, but sometimes other things need to be shared. I like it how it is....

5. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

personally, I like the mix of friendly banter and serious tech stuff. It leads me to use this forum as the primary place I go to for TLC stuff. A mix of fun and useful info. And I end up going surprisingly rarely to the other forums such as the chit chat or the events one. Probably just because of the need to having to navigate the menus etc. No big deal I know, but an additional step that one has to remember. So yes, leave it as is in that respect.
    (Although some folks could tone down their language and their avatars I think... It's sometimes annoying to have to skip posts or pages because the kids are around and I'd rather that they don't think that showing off jiggly b**bs should be their goal in life (not to single out any particular type of avatar, of course... :D) And, of course, I don't check this forum at work :D but if I did, that would also be potentially embarassing...)

I like it, great group of people here!

E

6. landtoy80

landtoy80

7. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

the main thing that gets me is chit chat makes searching a total B*^ch! thats when i really get ticked. Also that is the reason i use this forum.....for TECH. my suggestion is the starter of threads need to take personal ownership of that thread and the should delete posts that they do not want on their threads. so if it is a great post they can edit or delete it once it falls off the front page. just an idea.

8. landtoy80

landtoy80

As I said on the CC area, we need a junk filter to filter out junk from a good topic.

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Text books are very dry, that is why I switched form paleoanthropology to the car business in 1979. I for one enjoy the light hearted tone of the forum. Does it go overboard sometimes? You bet. How does a group this diverse deal with it? I can't say for sure. It is an art to train a thoroughbred horse or a champion bird Dog without breaking it's spirit. I have seen some great bird Dogs ruined by having their spirits broken. We should approach this with caution.

D-

10. Asiarider

Asiarider

Only a combination of all makes a great forum. Only tech without personal touch would be very dry.

To delete posts from your thread would be far too much power for one user. You have to accept the negative and funny posts too.

Mike

11. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=10564;start=msg94966#msg94966 date=1074973927]
    As I said on the CC area, we need a junk filter to filter out junk from a good topic.
    [/quote] you are not reffering to anyone in particular are you :D........ with out the personalities in this forum it would be a pretty dry read. I dont want it all gone........but i have thought about this lately and there is a happy medium to be met and your mom comments in everythread get old quick......one more thing. as this becomes THE forum for 80 series (and100) we should take responsibility to make sure it stays user freindly. thats it............ for now

12. Beowulf

Beowulf

Rich,

>> It is interesting to observe that when a new person post's a <<
    >> typical new person's question, they are likely to be admonished <<
    >> to search the forum, with an explanation that ... [many examples sniped] <<

You missed the most important reason that a new person asking a question is pointed to the archives and that is because it is very, very unlikely they will get the "good" answers again with full explanations, full detail posts of part numbers, pictures, diagrams, and statistics.

I could give you dozens of examples but I'll pick one in particular. We frequently have people asking about the 80's locking diffs... (noises, switch problems, how each locks, etc.) Kurt posted a thread with numerous pictures of the internals of the center diff, diagrams of how it goes together, etc. It is ludicrous to expect that comprehensive post will be reposted every time someone asks about the center diff. Several people have posted on how the axle diffs work, how to test, etc. and there are also several threads with pictures, diagrams, etc.

My point is that asking someone to do a search is actually helping them get to the good information. Nobody should be expected to repost all that again. On many, many occassions I will do a search and post a link for people. That gets a little old when they don't show any initiative to search themselves.

One other point... there was a recent "incident" where we had a long thread going about front end noises (wheel bearings or bushing type noises.) The post had 20 or 30 responses. A newbie started a new thread with the exact same question and the current 'noise' thread was 2 posts down the list when he posted his "new" question. I admonished him but, IMHO, he deserved it.

-B-

13. RavenTai

RavenTai

I generally like the feel here it is about the right mix, keeps it light hearted, people in forums sometimes get adversarial I think the chit chat keeps it away

one thing I think it does need is a FAQ sticky, one thread stuck to the top with links to all those good threads, it would make it much easier on newbies and old timers looking for That thread

a good example is the stickie thread on the Asus section of AMDMB

I am new to TLC's and still searching quite often I can start saving URL's for a FAQ thread

14. Shortbus

Shortbus

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10564;start=msg94933#msg94933 date=1074967217]
    (Although some folks could tone down their language and their avatars I think... It's sometimes annoying to have to skip posts or pages because the kids are around and I'd rather that they don't think that showing off jiggly b**bs should be their goal in life (not to single out any particular type of avatar, of course... :D) And, of course, I don't check this forum at work :D but if I did, that would also be potentially embarassing...)
    E
    [/quote]

Didn't realize it was required that my avatar was to reflect my goal in life. :slap:

Happy now?

15. Asiarider

Asiarider

[quote author=Shortbus link=board=2;threadid=10564;start=msg94989#msg94989 date=1074977237]
    Didn't realize it was required that my avatar was to reflect my goal in life. :slap:

Happy now?
    [/quote]

Brad,

that is too much now :D

Mike

16. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

I like it the way it is. Ahh, freedom of speech and expression. :flipoff2: :D

17. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

B has a point. Right or wrong I'll post my techinical take on a situation or problem usually. But when it is something that has been covered several times I tend to sit back and let someone else handle it. I try to interject if I think soemthing got missed but with all the posts that we see here a thread can advance to the next page quite quickly and get lost from my sight.

I've tried the search feature with some success. That really takes a talent that I've not mastered.

18. theferg

theferg

Media:
    There does seem to be more chit-chatty posts goin' on here in the 80s section, but I don't think it's a big deal. Ya, also think there is WAAAAY to many yo-mama posts, but ya know, I'd hate to see a whole new thread started just so you could ask a quick question that relates, but isn't quite on the same topic--I can barely keep up with the current amount of new threads here in the 80s section. :p

As for post deleting, maybe there could be a three (or five or whatever) strike policy thing where people could click to vote to have a post deleted and if it reaches the three (or five or whatever) votes, then it notifies a mod who can then see if it should be deleted...(ya, it's kinda complicated, but it could work.)

Also, I believe Woody is workin' on something that will allow each user to be able to turn the avatar viewing on and off. If you don't wanna see avatars, so be it. Hopefully he comes out with that soon 'cause it could be really useful for some people.

-Ferg-

19. landandsea

landandsea

This forum is what it is. And in my opinion it's an enjoyable, fun place. Good tech info and some bring-a-smile-to-the-face humor and satire.

I would not suggest any actions that would make this forum an on-line FSM.

I have a 9 year old son. Not having to worry about him seeing some avatars would make life a little less complicated. However, I can live with it the way it is now. I'm willing to give everybody the benefit of the doubt that if they realized that some of us are having to deal with the avatars and young kids, the avatars would change. Notice that I'm not calling the avatars offensive.

I say let this section exist without manipulation and people can take it or leave it.

Let's hear what your momma thinks, Junk :cheers:

Ed

20. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I like the mix too, and I already miss the Shortbus avatar. I have found the tone on the forum to be friendly and rarely deteriorates to name calling or flaming. It has lots more traffic than the 80 series list so don't mess it up. Having true experts on the forum like C-Dan or Robbie is a major plus. My vote above will reflect the leave-it-alone sentiment.