Chassis rust - serious? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Again, pictures of an LX450 I recently saw, and was wondering how serious the chassis rust might be (didn't seem too bad to me, mostly surface rust). I live in the rust belt so am used to seeing more rust underneath the cars up here... The parts with most rust were the after-market running boards, and the hitch. Truck itself didn't look too bad, relatively speaking... What do you think?
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6195.JPG
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6235.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG

Rstl99, I've seen a lot worse, Oh by the way i really like your avatar taken from the movie "Sorcerer" it's one of my all time favorite movies.

Thanks Rifleman, I've also seen much worse. The current owner told me her truck had never had rust-proofing as far as she knew, so I was expecting much worse coming from the salt/rust belt, but looks like the 80 chassis is more resilient than the couple of 60's I've owned in the past!
Glad you recognized the still from Sorcerer, indeed it's an outstanding tale of men and vehicles (as is the original french film The Wages of Fear - Le salaire de la peur, with Yves Montand).

I agree - seen a lot worse. Personally, unless it was a really good deal, l would look for a desert truck. After dealing with rust belt cars and their rusted, frozen nuts and bolts - I'd spend more

You have a point about rust-frozen hardware, no fun. I've never had the fortune of owning a "desert truck", and suppose I've built up callous on my knuckles from all the rust-belt chassis's I've wrenched on at one time or another, over the last 30 years or so.
Seller was asking around $4k for the truck. 190k miles, AC not cold, front seats worn, good body, factory lockers.

I own a lot worse, I suppose it depends on what you're willing to deal with. I'll never buy a rusted truck again.

My next 80 will be rust free for sure.

Mine looks same. Price is very good from what I have seen lately.

I see it's locked. check the rear diff lock actuator, since it's aluminum, it turns to powder instead of rust. the bottom half of one off my parts truck is gone

Thanks guys, I think the vehicle is sold but will try to contact the seller again this week and maybe go have another look at it, plus take it for a long drive and check out a few things on it in more detail.
For those of us up here in Canada, it seemed to me the rust on there was nothing a bit of brushing and good application of Krown wouldn't tame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom