Chassis paint recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curious what paint options you would recommend if going the sandblasting route? I have an fj55 frame/axles that I'm going to sandblast. Guy at the local auto paint store suggested 2 coats epoxy primer and 2 coats polyurethane chassis paint. With hardener, additives, etc. I'm at $230/gal for the primer and $220/gal. for paint. Plan on spraying all coats with HVLP sprayer.
With the caveat that I'm certainly NOT a professional painter, what you describe is my understanding of a premium quality frame paint job. That's not an unreasonable price for paint of that quality. I would be very surprised if you need a gallon of each but, again, I'm not a painter.

There is a guy on here @kelly saad that really knows this stuff if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe he'll pipe up and tell me im completely off base.

I use the Eastwood product. 3+ years and still lools great. Sprayable too.

The internal frame coating is also a great product.

curious what paint options you would recommend if going the sandblasting route? I have an fj55 frame/axles that I'm going to sandblast. Guy at the local auto paint store suggested 2 coats epoxy primer and 2 coats polyurethane chassis paint. With hardener, additives, etc. I'm at $230/gal for the primer and $220/gal. for paint. Plan on spraying all coats with HVLP sprayer.
It is my opinion, and WAS generally accepted (back in the '70's & '80's) to paint ALL sandblasted metal (be it body parts or running gear parts) with PPG's DP Epoxy Primer.. This stuff is "bulletproof" (okay, rock-chip proof!).. There may be "newer" stuff out
now, talk to a body shop paint supplier and see what they recommend. The most important this is to get all your paint (Epoxy Coats, Primer Coats, Color Coats, etc.) to be compatible with each other.. NOTHING ruins a paint job quicker than a substrate "reacting" with a top coat... AFTER all the "heavy lifting" is finished!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom