Chassis metal thickness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Anyone know what guage or thickness of steel sheet would be used in interior wheel wells, and sills?

I recently replaced a rocker on my 96 with an OEM one and the thickness was more or less 1mm. I think that is 18AWG in old money. Assumes my calipers are accurate.. 🙄

...could be 18, but more likely 20:
1683824690856.png

Of course, bigger is always better.

Thank you!

@FMC80, after beating the 200 up in Moab, I decided to build a '94 80 for trail use. I picked it up in "rust free Colorado" on the way home. Unfortunately, I found some hidden rust spots that need to be patched before I can run it. Hopefully get that welded up soon and get it on the trails by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

This is the forum I started in - I had two 80s in a row two decades ago, then a 100, and then two different 200s. Back to where I started. :)

When I was doing custom work on my wheel wells to fit 39s I used 18 gauge and it worked well.
Maybe slightly thicker ;)

Right on. Did I miss your build thread for the trail-use 80?
Nope, I've never done a build thread. It's nothing fancy - 300K mile white '94, it came with ARB lockers front and rear, Chromoly axles, OME nitrocharger lift. I'm putting a rubber floor in it from Trufit, WKOR sliders, TT skids, Slee Shortbus bumper with a Comeup 9.5rs. Only putting the front seats back in. I'm going for light, kind of the opposite of my loaded 200...

On 33s now, probably going to skinny 35s on steelies.

Last edited:
Keeping it as light as possible is key to making a 80 work well as a trail rig !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom