Chassis grease fitting clean out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Has anyone had the need, and any success with, cleaning old, hardened grease out of the chassis fittings? What is the consensus for greasing a chassis that hasn't been regularly greased and which has clogged fittings?

- Running a grease solvent into and though the fitting and area to be greased, and then purging that with new grease (maybe several times)?

- Removing the fittings and replacing them, and then purging the grease areas?

Simply running new grease in to push out the old won't work if the fittings and/or grease reservoirs are clogged.

Also, on a related note, if one of the fittings breaks, and the hole has to be reconditioned in order to install a replacement fitting, is the thread BSP, BSPP, or some other thread form?

The Lock 'n Lube works great for pushing old dry grease out of the zerk. If they happened to be rusted shut, they're cheap and easy to replace. Metric thread zerks are available at any auto parts store.

The Lock-N-Lube couplers Byron pointed to are great. Put that on “THIS” grease gun and in the pressure mode, you can clear out some clogged fittings that other setups will not. Can’t help ya on thread size. I just have two assortment kits, metric & SAE and it’s always trial & error till I find it. Make sure you clean the grease fittings off before greasing. You can also remove the fitting and flush it with solvent.
I have 28 grease fittings on my rig and since I spend so much time in deep water, I grease quite often.

The Lock-N-Lube couplers Byron pointed to are great. Put that on “THIS” grease gun and in the pressure mode, you can clear out some clogged fittings that other setups will not. Can’t help ya on thread size. I just have two assortment kits, metric & SAE and it’s always trial & error till I find it. Make sure you clean the grease fittings off before greasing. You can also remove the fitting and flush it with solvent.
I have 28 grease fittings on my rig and since I spend so much time in deep water, I grease quite often.
Many thanks for the cleaning tip (no pun intended). I have that gun. I love it.

FWIW, I think I remember the OEM chassis has 13 fittings on it; I have to look it up in the OM.

I think I remember the OEM chassis has 13 fittings on it;
I count 14 OEM on my 74. I miss counted the ones I added.
OEM
Drag Link – 2
Center Arm – 1
Relay Rod – 2
Tie Rod – 2
U-Joints – 4
Drive Shafts – 2
T-Case – 1
Total – 14

Added by me
Shackle and Spring Mount pins – 12
Knuckles – 2
Front Hubs – 2
Total - 16

Grand Total - 30

Alemites.jpg

Great. Now there's one more thing I need to add to my 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom