Chasing overheating problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the rear heater by-pass today(PITA), verified all the plumbing was correct from the various threads here on MUD. Started her up and temp gauge reached just below red zone. I did not notice any coolant leaking, I had coolant in the resivior, what is the next logical place to check as I chase this overheating problem. I did the heater by-pass because lines were rusted and I was leaking from several places along the rusted lines. 1995 w/135K. Thanks

several things and the heater bypass shouldn't have made any difference. Not sure why you started there unless you were concerned about the leak. By resv do you mean the overflow bottle?

Thermostat - how old

Fan Clutch -

Coolant needing to be changed

Radiator issue

Romer, I did the heater by-pass due to the large amount of coolant leaking, i suspected that this loss of coolant was why I was overheating originally. Yes I meant overflow bottle. Theromstat is about 5 years old, Fan Clutch never messed with it, Coolant in the radiator was low so I added half a gallon directly in the radiator, not sure about the radiator (how can I tell its bad.) BTW how are things up in CO. I flew out to Boulder last week to go to the CU game, and it got cancelled. That was a good call under the circumstances, the lobby in the hotel I stayed at in Boulder last weekend was under water.

Its much better, but some places will be in bad shape for a while until they rebuild roads and homes

So if its been more than two years, I would flush and refill do a good flush

replace the thermostat and if you have had this rig 5 years and don't know the condition of the fan clutch, I would replace that too. Might look at the threads changing out the fluid. You could buy the ones landtank has already done, but changing the fluid is easy and I never worried about changing the setpoints

The fan clutch itself from Cdan isn't very expensive and you can get the fluid and a Remote Car shop for cheap
There is a test you can apply to the thermostat when its out, but I would just replace it

There is a test to check the fan clutch using a thick glove, I would search for it

Air trapped in the cooling system?

When someone says that their heater lines were all rusted, I would think that the radiator is also full of clogging rust. I'm not a fan of throwing parts at problem, but if you have fittings and hoses rusting out, I would think a cooling system rebuild is in order. With all the hoses changed out, a new radiator and fan clutch would be the next parts. It's very uncommon for the water pump to have problems unless it is leaking out of the weep hole.

Be sure to remove the drain plug from the drivers side of the block, and to the left of the PHH when you flush the system to get all the gunk out.

To start cheap, replace the thermostat and radiator cap with a Toyota one. Also order 2 or 3 extra thermostat gaskets so you can take it apart later to really flush the system out well. See if that solves your problem first. If not, at least you replaced some cheap stuff first that will help in up dating the system.

When someone says that their heater lines were all rusted, I would think that the radiator is also full of clogging rust. I'm not a fan of throwing parts at problem, but if you have fittings and hoses rusting out, I would think a cooling system rebuild is in order. With all the hoses changed out, a new radiator and fan clutch would be the next parts. It's very uncommon for the water pump to have problems unless it is leaking out of the weep hole.

Be sure to remove the drain plug from the drivers side of the block, and to the left of the PHH when you flush the system to get all the gunk out.

To start cheap, replace the thermostat and radiator cap with a Toyota one. Also order 2 or 3 extra thermostat gaskets so you can take it apart later to really flush the system out well. See if that solves your problem first. If not, at least you replaced some cheap stuff first that will help in up dating the system.

In some parts of the country it's not uncommon for the rear heater hard lines to rust from the outside due to rain, snow & road salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom