Chasing Oil Leaks

• Thread starter cvcruiser
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
cvcruiser

cvcruiser

Hi All,
Can you please help me identify the large bolt circled so I can order a gasket /washer for it? Attached the picture to this thread. It's for a 1997 FZJ80 Land Cruiser.

Thanks,

Chris

IMG 5430

K

Kernal

Might want to wash that area off well then watch it very closely, take photos, after only a few minutes with the engine running to better narrow down the source of the leak. The solid washer (edit: copper gasket) under that bolt is very unlikely to leak unless it's been apart. Has the oil pressure sender been replaced recently? How does the area around the timing chain cover look, oil pump cover (lower front of engine)??

Last edited:
cvcruiser

cvcruiser

Might want to wash that area off well then watch it very closely, take photos, after only a few minutes with the engine running to better narrow down the source of the leak. The solid washer under that bolt is very unlikely to leak unless it's been apart. Has the oil pressure sender been replaced recently?
Hi, thanks for the reply. No the sender hasn't been replaced. I'll take your advice and watch it after being cleaned up.

FMC80

FMC80

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Solid advice from kernal.

Someone will come in here and say this is just anti-rust blah blah blah, preservation fluid blah blah blah. I did it for them. You’re welcome.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Irish Reiver

Irish Reiver

SILVER Star
@cvcruiser To answer your question, what you have circled is the oil pressure relieve valve. There is a crush gasket there (15134-20010) which will set you back $3 but as @Kernal has mentioned, unless someone has pulled the valve I doubt the gasket would let go. Clean the area and look for a leak somewhere north of that.