Charlottesville, Va Roll Call? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You've definitely got an issue if you're on stock tires .
I get 15 or 16mpgs with 35s and 2.5in lift
Yeah I've got an exhaust leak at the first O2 sensor bung too. Every now and then when it's been sitting for a day in the cold, it stumbles on start up for like 30 seconds. Should I start by replacing the fuel filter, distributor cap, and rotors and see where that gets me?

You might try getting your exhaust fixed first and make sure the O2 sensors are all working.

The worlds most stubborn tie rod end. Been fighting for 3 days now, got the rest of them out, been coating it with copious amounts of deep creep. Any advice? Tried a puller but it broke, tried a pickle fork but it’s not working too well.

C5368841-10FF-4796-9FCE-571049697E3B.jpeg

CC895E37-F729-4979-BA62-72665748697B.jpeg

The worlds most stubborn tie rod end. Been fighting for 3 days now, got the rest of them out, been coating it with copious amounts of deep creep. Any advice? Tried a puller but it broke, tried a pickle fork but it’s not working too well.

View attachment 2174910

View attachment 2174911

Torch on the pitman arm and a puller. Once the puller is good and tight whacking the outside of the arm with a BFH should pop it out. Careful not to heat the rod end or they CAN explode! Or try disassembling the end so if it does get hot the grease has somewhere to expand to.

Torch on the pitman arm and a puller. Once the puller is good and tight whacking the outside of the arm with a BFH should pop it out. Careful not to heat the rod end or they CAN explode! Or try disassembling the end so if it does get hot the grease has somewhere to expand to.

My problem is that I’ve soaked it in so much Deep Creep (flammable) that I’m afraid everything will catch on fire/explode!

5b27bad3-9f3f-4cc8-a455-46b77e9dddc9-large16x9_fire.jpg

Pickle.jpg

618cWSHJxGL._SY355_.jpg

Add a whole lot of each until that bugger pops. I remember feeling pretty beat by the time mine finally gave up.

Wipe an much of the grease off and you can before hitting it with some mapp. Should be fine.....Probably.

Reactions: MDK
My problem is that I’ve soaked it in so much Deep Creep (flammable) that I’m afraid everything will catch on fire/explode!

Nah, it’ll burn off fairly quickly. Just keep a fire extinguisher handy, but you’ll be fine. Get the pitman arm glowing.

Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, when I put high steer on my 60 ages ago the ball ripped out of the drag link end. I ended up taking off the pitman arm and throwing it away.

Nah, it’ll burn off fairly quickly. Just keep a fire extinguisher handy, but you’ll be fine. Get the pitman arm glowing.

Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, when I put high steer on my 60 ages ago the ball ripped out of the drag link end. I ended up taking off the pitman arm and throwing it away.

You're saying just to rip that sucker off?:steer:

You're saying just to rip that sucker off?:steer:

well in my case I think was putting a new pitman arm anyway so it worked out. But if you took the pitman arm off you could take it to a shop with a press and have them do it.

Hey every now and then over the past month or so, my 97 FZJ80 has had a rough startup in cold weather. It makes a "dugga dugga dugga" sound for like 30 seconds, then goes back to normal. Y'all have any idea of what could be causing that?
I've also looked at the remanufactured and the serviced 1fz-fe engines on Cruiser Parts. Do y'all know if they're reliable or not?

Last edited:
And on my last fill-up, I got 6.776mpg. Which is my lowest ever. So idk what to do 🤷🏾‍♂️

I really would try basic tune up stuff first.
Plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Start with $ and work up to $$$. Then at least you know that the basic stuff is working right if and when you have to replace/repair expensive stuff. (I’ve found that Toyota OEM plugs and wires work great).

I really would try basic tune up stuff first.
Plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Start with $ and work up to $$$. Then at least you know that the basic stuff is working right if and when you have to replace/repair expensive stuff. (I’ve found that Toyota OEM plugs and wires work great).
Yeah I did the plugs and wires a year ago, that helped a lot. Probably gonna do the dizzy rotor and cap, and then the fuel filter, also with the air filter and see if that helps

By the way, I didn't know this thread existed until now.

I'm in Crozet with an '87 FJ60 and a 97 FZJ80 which is going to be my daily

I have a 2 year old and another on the way, so my wrenching time is limited for a few years. I spend a lot of time on mud and Facebook researching all my issues then sneak out to my driveway late at night and early in the morning to give a Little TLC to these ladies

MVIMG_20191215_105919.jpg

MVIMG_20200109_155209.jpg

Air hammer with ball joint separator attachment from harbor freight. I have been amazed how fast it pops tie rods, ball joints, etc.

ShenValley100LC said:
Ah yes that was me! I remember that!

Meeting someone with ~500,000 miles on a land cruiser is a big reason I ditched the dodge and picked up my LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom