Charlottesville, Va Roll Call? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in Fluvanna. And can be seen occasionally in C'ville.

I can be found almost any day on the 60 forum.

Here's my story: Builds - g-man's land cruiser story

DSCN0098.JPG

Neither would be cheap, that's a lot of consumption though so you're going to need to make a decision at some point. Lots of opinions out there but IMO the whole point of a land cruiser is the bullet proof reliability and the beefy inline 6s in these are just that. I'd do a full rebuild of your engine and slap on a Wits End turbo if you can swing it. That would be the best of both worlds.
Yeah I was thinking definitely a rebuild. OTRAMM quoted me $10-11k for a full engine rebuild. I'm 19 and a community college student living with his parents, so I don't have all the money in the world you could say:frown:. I know Iron Pig Off Road does engine rebuilds, but didn't know their pricing. I love this vehicle to death and want to keep it for as long as I can. It is indeed an expensive addiction:bang:

Yeah I was thinking definitely a rebuild. OTRAMM quoted me $10-11k for a full engine rebuild. I'm 19 and a community college student living with his parents, so I don't have all the money in the world you could say:frown:. I know Iron Pig Off Road does engine rebuilds, but didn't know their pricing. I love this vehicle to death and want to keep it for as long as I can. It is indeed an expensive addiction:bang:
OTRAMM is the gold standard and thats about what you can expect for a full rebuild if you do it right. Not cheap, but easy to expect another 300k out of your vehicle again, not many vehicles you can expect that from.

If you're 19 though, just keep an eye on it and run it as long as you can then maybe sell it and get something else, there will be more time for cruisers after you graduate.

You too Lex! Next time you're coming down C'ville way give me a heads up. We'll meet up for a beer.
Should do a C'ville/Central Va meet up at some point.

OTRAMM is the gold standard and thats about what you can expect for a full rebuild if you do it right. Not cheap, but easy to expect another 300k out of your vehicle again, not many vehicles you can expect that from.

If you're 19 though, just keep an eye on it and run it as long as you can then maybe sell it and get something else, there will be more time for cruisers after you graduate.
Just through the few emails back and forth, Ryan at OTRAMM seems like a great guy. I won't be continuing community college and plan to go the trades route and eventually become an electrician's apprentice and eventually an electrician. I start my new part time job this week, while I'm still in school. Then plan to go full time in 2020, until I can truly figure out what I want to do with my life

Anyone in Waynesboro/Charlottesville have a UZJ100 Land Cruiser with the old style black Rear Wind Deflector? I was hoping you could maybe let me take some measurements of yours so I can make one off my CNC since theyre basically impossible to buy. Don't even have to take it off but want to get measurements and look at the mounting points.

Anyone in Waynesboro/Charlottesville have a UZJ100 Land Cruiser with the old style black Rear Wind Deflector? I was hoping you could maybe let me take some measurements of yours so I can make one off my CNC since theyre basically impossible to buy. Don't even have to take it off but want to get measurements and look at the mounting points.
If I were you I'd look at salvage yards around here to see if there's any

This is what I read.....
"Bla bla bla..!off my CNC!....bla bla bla"

I'm not sure how extensive of a look you need but I think Ben Edwards has at least one on his lot.

Neither would be cheap, that's a lot of consumption though so you're going to need to make a decision at some point. Lots of opinions out there but IMO the whole point of a land cruiser is the bullet proof reliability and the beefy inline 6s in these are just that. I'd do a full rebuild of your engine and slap on a Wits End turbo if you can swing it. That would be the best of both worlds.
Would I need to get the transmission and transfer case rebuilt too? Or just the engine?

Would I need to get the transmission and transfer case rebuilt too? Or just the engine?
Both trans and transfer on these are pretty bulletproof, but couldn't hurt. You could always just run it then maybe throw in a remanned trans down the line, would be shocked if you ever needed to do anything with the x-fer.

Anyone here done Flagpole knob west of of Harrisonburg? Seems like this would be a cool day trip. Is it still open? Can get up to Skidmore lake? How long would it take to get up there from the start of the trail? I found this interesting link: Flagpole Knob | Capital Off Road Enthusiasts, Inc.

It was closed over the summer for grading but should be open again by now.

Yes you can get to Switzer lake from there or you can go down union springs rd. Takes about 1.5 - 2 hrs from trail head to the lake including a stop at the top. A little longer to do down union. Or about 30 minutes on 2 wheels :D

Its open but it does get a bit crowded on the weekend, best to leave very early in the morning if you just want a day trip, otherwise on Saturdays there's a good chance of running into groups 10-20 vehicles. Flagpole Knob, Potts, and Big Levels are the three big trails around here that really are kinda "advertised" and highlighted online as OHV/Offroad Trails so you get people from all over the valley and from the DC area using so...they're kinda crowded. There's just a lot of trail reports, youtubes videos, and they're the first thing that'll pop up if you google for trails around here. But even on those if you can get there early its not too bad. You can also continue on FR-85 past Reddish Knob and explore some of the forest trails South of there. Get yourself a MVUM (motor-vehicle-use-map) for Virginia or download the map on something like Gaia GPS and there are all kinds of 3&4 digit Forest Roads that are all fun to drive north and south of Flagpole. Here's some pics from that trail about 2 weeks ago:
trail.jpg

view from the top overlooks Harrisonburg, Cross Keys, Mount Crawford, Bridgewater, etc.
IMG-0152.JPG

I'd be down for a week day trip if anyone wants to lead. You guys seem to know the area. Meet up for breakfast somewhere.. Then go from there? Any takers? I'm on 31" tires with a 2 inch lift ...no sliders. (read: mostly easy trails) But I do have Warn 8274 if needed.

Anyone here done Flagpole knob west of of Harrisonburg? Seems like this would be a cool day trip. Is it still open? Can get up to Skidmore lake? How long would it take to get up there from the start of the trail? I found this interesting link: Flagpole Knob | Capital Off Road Enthusiasts, Inc.
Me and some friends were gonna go up there last December and camp, but ended up not doing it since our 4x4s are our daily drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom