Charging light on - but everything working fine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice on what to do with my alternator. My car just crossed 150K kms, which does not seem like a lot. The charging light is constantly on; but there is no problem with charging, the battery is always properly charged, and other than that the car works just fine. I am trying to figure out what I should do about it, and I'd appreciate any advice. I haven't confirmed my alternator model yet, but ToyoDIY says I have either the 27060-66060 (55A) or 27060-66070 (80A); I have a GCC spec FJZ80 with the 1FZ-F engine. It would seem like my options are:

- get brushes for $15 or so and see if this fixes the issue
- get a rebuilt 27060-66070 for around $200 or so and call it a day
- get a rebuilt 27060-66040 (100A) and get the bracket 16381-66040 for it so it fits
- take the lamp out (but then my speedo backlight seems to turn off, so I think it completes a circuit of some kind? might not be an option)

What should I do?

If you've verified that the alternator is charging why replace it or the brushes?

There is a relay that turns that light on. Verify the 7.5 amp fuse is good. If it's good test the relays operation.

If you've verified that the alternator is charging why replace it or the brushes?

There is a relay that turns that light on. Verify the 7.5 amp fuse is good. If it's good test the relays operation.
Because I was looking for exactly this kind of knowledge, considering how little I know about the car still :)

Thanks - which fuse is it, and is it in the dash or in the engine compartment? And where is the relay?

You might be over or under charging. Check the voltage while it’s running to see if it’s in spec. The light is on for a reason so don’t ignore it.

1994, pre-facelift.

The fuse is in the box under the hood.
Screenshot_20230325_215212_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

From the wiring diagram the yellow wire off the alternator feeds that fuse. You can verify signal on that wire.

Screenshot_20230325_221316_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20230325_221222_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Excellent. Thank you very much - I will do this tomorrow. Hopefully it's just the fuse, that would really be awesome.

By the way - if I do end up needing a new alternator - any idea whether 1FZ-F and 1FZ-FE alternators are the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom