Charcola Cannister Location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
My first 60

At the risk of sounding like I haven't a clue.. can someone tell me where the location is of the charcoal cannister?

Pic maybe?

There is an overwhelming smell under the hood. It's too much when I drive then lingers when I turn it off. I'm thinking maybe it's a rotted hose there or something.

Large cylinder sitting upright on the passenger frame rail in the engine bay. Can't miss it.

Yep. Found it with no prob.

I guess that's not the issue.

I have a strong odor of gas or burned gas fumes or something coming from underneath the hood. It's not right. It eventually fills the entire truck when driving down the road. I have full power so it's not an exhaust leak I think. No rumbling noises like that.

an exhaust leak will not effect power.

Start looking at the fuel lines. they start at the gas tank on the passenger side. there are hard lines that follow the inside frame rail along the passenger side of the truck, and up the fire wall. It then becomes rubber hose to the fuel pump mounted on passenger side of the engine in front of the distributor. from the fuel pump the line goes up to the carburetor.

Also check the fuel pump for leaks. There is a weep hole on the bottom that gas will drip out of if the pump diaphragm is broken.

There is a sight glass on the front of the carb. The fuel level should be 1/2 way up the sight glass.

Try switching the two vapor lines that go to the top of the canister - problem may be as simple as pressure build up from a clogged canister or bad check valve (in canister).

I had the same issue and did exactly what Spike Strip recommended with switching the hoses. Problem resolved. My only issue is I like things "right" so it kind of bothers me that the canister is being bypassed. But, the smell is gone and performance has been great for months.

Are you in Phoenix, Az? If so what part of the valley? I am in Gilbert.

That worked, huh? I'm going to give that a try when I get home from work today. (Switching the two hoses) That looks easiest so I'll try it first.

I'm near Boston. Go figure. lol

Switching the hoses doesn't bypass the canister, exactly; it just bypasses the check-valve inside the can.

un-frikkin believable.

I switched those two hoses going into the top of the charcoal canister, took it for a ride of a few miles and noticed and the smell is 90 percent gone.

genius. Thanks for the help.

Next... prolly got to replace the windshield if I can't get an inspection sticker next week (crack) and the speedometer cable is either broken or knocked loose.

thanks again

30 bucks for a canister? I just spent $125 for one. It fixed the smell, and my mpg went up to 14 from 12, but I would have liked to put the extra $95 to another project.....there is always another project.

Just got mine in the mail. It's a Wells brand so prolly reasonable quality.

Actually $36
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom