1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charcoal v. Gas Grills?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    So what do you guys prefer? We have had a gas grill forever, and it just broke. So we have been using charcoal, and I love it. I think it is much better than gas.

Zack

2. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

It is untill you want to cook in a mist, or have the burgers doen within a half hour of you getting home.

I'd prefer charcoal, but gas has its merits and gets used more ofer in my household over charcoal.

If we have the extra time to not use gas, we smoke :)

3. rgsiii

rgsiii SILVER Star

4. patride71

patride71

charcoal wins for taste and gas wins for convenience...

5. ictcruiser

ictcruiser

I went with a natural gas set-up and LOVE it. Much more convenient than replacing tanks and hassling with charcoal.

6. hightide

hightide

I grill for taste not convinience. Charcoal baby!!

7. flowman

flowman

Media:
    Albums:
    charcoal flavor can't be beat, and what could be more convenient than the following?

get one of those metal cylinder charcoal starters (you put charcoal in the top, crumpled newspaper underneath, light newspaper, chimney effect lights charcoal, once coals are uniformly burning dump them out and you're cookin...)

"too slow!" you say? whip out your leafblower or borrow the wife's blow dryer, crank it up and point the airstream at the coals--a few minutes of forced air and you'll have a roaring charcoal fire--cuts the time to cook in half, or better.

8. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Is that just a fancy way of saying "Repost"? :D

The center burner on my gas grill crapped out on me a short while ago. I've been doing the charcoal thing lately. It's okay, but it doesn't beat the instant on, cook now feature of gas.

I switch off between the two depending on what I'm grilling or barbecuing...or rather if I'm grilling vs. BBQing.

9. ar2stp48

ar2stp48

Charcoal is my choice; tried a gas grill and was not impressed. Have been using the same cast aluminum grill since 1971 (only had to replace the grates a number of times though); highly recommend the brand--Portable Kitchen. Dont waste money on the tin can quality grill at Wally World. Have been known to grab the hair dryer a couple of times when in a hurry.

10. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    This place uses coal!! In fact, they grill everything on the menu!! I think it would be cool to eat a meal there!!

I've never used gas.

11. mot

mot

Forced induction works even on BBQ's! :rolleyes:

Mot

12. hightide

hightide

I use real charcoal made from mequite not the briquette stuff. I dont use charcoal fluid either, just soak a napkin in vegie oil, build a charcoal pyramid around it and light it.

13. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gas and charcoal.

I saw a Webber grill at the local hardware store that had a gas charcoal lighting feature.

14. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I use gas at home, But out in the bush many times I have used wood coals from a hot fire. Damm that is a nice steak made that way. But also very time consuming to get the coals made(Hot). Worth it if you are doing nutting but drinking by the fire, Might as well make food. UUUmmmmm

15. lingo

lingo

charcoal is the way to go. i also prefer to lump charcoal. it lights easier and burns hotter longer.

16. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    For you Kingsford users out there.

Well, according to Kingsford, here is what is in their briquettes and what each ingredient is used for: wood char (heat source), mineral char (heat source), mineral carbon (heat source), limestone (uniform visual ashing), starch (binder), borax (press release), sodium nitrate (ignition aid), sawdust (ignition aid). If you hang out on any of the barbecue forums on the internet, you will find lots of folks complaining about the borax and coal and limestone. You don't often hear of people complaining about the mineral char. What is mineral char? "A soft, brownish-black coal in which the alteration of vegetable matter has proceeded further than in peat but not as far as in bituminous coal. Also called brown coal. Has empyreumatic smell." What is an empyreumatic smell? "The peculiar smell and taste arising from products of decomposition of animal or vegetable substances when burnt in close vessels." Nuff said?

I would rather grill with gas anyday over Kingsford crap. Nothing like al little Borax on my burger.

I use Lump only. If you don't your not grilling you are "artifically grilling". :flipoff2: