Charcoal Canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if there are any impacts of a "internally leaking" charcoal canister. Dealer says they pressure tested it and found it was leaking. No CEL and it just passed emissions a week ago. Is there any other adverse affects from it like mpg, or rough idle?

I just replaced mine... it wasn't leaking but internally "clogged" and causing excess pressure and fumes / gurgling at the gas cap. No CEL, idle issues, or running issues. Lots of fumes in garage when warm though and sitting after a drive.

Does anyone know if there are any impacts of a "internally leaking" charcoal canister. Dealer says they pressure tested it and found it was leaking. No CEL and it just passed emissions a week ago. Is there any other adverse affects from it like mpg, or rough idle?
Why did dealer pressure test it? What are your symptoms?

Well I am the new owner of it and it was done by the PO. So when I brought it in to have the timing belt done they let me know that the canister was on the list of "fix it"s but with no lights or symptoms so I passed on the 650$ repair quote. Just wanted to know if that will come back to give me problems that could damage other parts of the car? My first mpg average was 14.1 (stock) which I know these aren't great on gas but my wifes vvti gx470 gets 18.5 driving in the same area. Are these just that much worse on gas or could the canister help that out some.

Well I am the new owner of it and it was done by the PO. So when I brought it in to have the timing belt done they let me know that the canister was on the list of "fix it"s but with no lights or symptoms so I passed on the 650$ repair quote. Just wanted to know if that will come back to give me problems that could damage other parts of the car? My first mpg average was 14.1 (stock) which I know these aren't great on gas but my wifes vvti gx470 gets 18.5 driving in the same area. Are these just that much worse on gas or could the canister help that out some.

Got it, well if you don't have any symptoms like fuel smells or rough performance my vote would be it's OK to not worry about for a while. Your MPG sounds about right, I am getting 15mpg summer and 12-13mpg winter ( snow wheeling and making her work a bit more through montana snow )

I thought rolling hills of "sub-Appalachian mountains" North Georgia was easier than Snowy Montana for mpg but dang:doh:

Just ordered and installed this, the WVE unit. it was an OEM Toyota.
took all of 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom