Charcoal canister with Weber carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I recently bought a desmogged 83 FJ60 with a Weber 38 carb. It has a strong gas odor with driving. It still has the charcoal canister but it’s not connected to anything. The tank vent line is open to atmosphere at the firewall. I’m planning on replacing the CC with an aftermarket one (AC delco) to vent the tank. The Weber carb doesn’t have an outlet to vent to the cc, nor does it have an inlet to pull vapors from the cc. I’ve read that you can just run the cc passive with no connections to the air intake. Is that true? I’m your opinion what’s the best way to handle my problem? TIA!

Engine sucking gasoline vapors out of the charcoal canister while driving is strictly an emissions system.
In your situation with the weber carb you’re not going to be able to ventilate its float bowl like the original Toyota one does - because that function is strictly for emissions also.
In your case, just connect the tank vent pipe to the IN port on the new aftermarket charcoal canister and call it a day. You’re done.

Engine sucking gasoline vapors out of the charcoal canister while driving is strictly an emissions system.
In your situation with the weber carb you’re not going to be able to ventilate its float bowl like the original Toyota one does - because that function is strictly for emissions also.
In your case, just connect the tank vent pipe to the IN port on the new aftermarket charcoal canister and call it a day. You’re done.
Sweet! That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

If you have a gasoline smell inside the passenger cabin then check that your distributor cap is properly ventilated or (more likely) the little filter on the firewall is capped.

I picked this picture from another MUD post:
1666960763923.png

The other think you should check is the condition of your vapor separator and flexible hoses associated with the fuel tank. The vapor separate is located in the right rear quarter panel behind the trim panel. The vapor separator looks like this and has several small hoses attached. From the same access you can also inspect the fuel filler hose, etc.

1666960998196.png

Thanks for your reply! I’ll check out all those potential problems today. Assuming the distributor isn’t ventilated properly, what vacuum source would you recommend I use to ventilate it? I don’t have an air cleaner, so I’m not sure where to tap into.

On a stock 2F, the distributor isn’t vented by vacuum, just a valve opens when the engine is running to open an air passageway to the cleaner housing. Its not actively vented. Just passive to atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom