Charcoal canister routing questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are three lines on the top of the canister labeled:
- to tank
- purge
- and the other is blank, but next to the purge and has some valve or something connected to it

Easy question, how do I route the hoses on a FJ60 with a V8?

One of the old hoses connected with a steal line that routed towards the brake booster and I think to the intake. I believe the other hose connected to a steal line that is headed back to towards the gas tank (could it be the 'to tank' hose? And what about the hose with the valve...I think this is the excess gas that can be routed to the intake, right?

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks, FJ55. That sounds about right to me.

I think I will just plumb the hose with the valve and the purge to the carb, I don't think that will hurt, I hope.

By the way, does anyone know what program I can use to save my pictures as a different file type and meet the size requirement of 90K? I would like to post pictures of the conversion, but they are all at 900K or so, I did take them on the best quality.

Thanks all. Happy New Year.
Dave.

Hey dave,

If you are not worried about emissions then I believe you can leave them (the hoses) open, not connected to anything. The idea for the canister is to cut down on Hydrocarbons that go out of your tailpipe. Until this last weekend I had mine unhooked and didn't notice a bit of difference in performance although I'm sure I wouldn't have passed a tailpipe test. So with a V8 conversion you probably won't need to deal with this at all.

Are your pictures .jpg's right now? This is probably the smallest you can get. If they are not, you can open your file using Microsoft Photo Editor which will open them as a jpeg and then should automatically save them in the .jpg format.

I thought the canister is there to collect hydocarbons evaporating from the gas tank when its parked. When the engine is running, the canister has the gas fumes sucked out of it. Having the canister connected to the tank and to the carb, (or open to atmosphere) vents the tank so it doesn't build too much pressure, or too hard a vacuum.

Almost all of the photo editing programs that come with your digital camera will allow you to compress the images to a size small enough to post on the web. You can also download programs like preclick http://www.preclick.com or villiage photos http://www.villagephotos.com where you can compress your photos. If you want to pay for one the photoshop elements is the best http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/main.html. It will also help to resize the photo's to a size as small as possible.

The route I chose for my canister was past the right side of the cruiser through the large rollup door, around the end of the shop to the dumpster. Since installing it there, it hasn't given me any trouble.

Sorry to dig up a slightly stale post, but a question:
1- some sort of breather is required for the gas tank, to avoid a vacuum, right?
2- anybody have a part number for a charcoal canister, or is it just as easy to pully any random one out of the boneyard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom