charcoal canister noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my ever leaky brand new heater hose had me under the hood yet again. Moved the clamp some and tightened again and it seems to have fixed the problem, however while I was there I noticed a clicky/air leaking sound. Traced it to the line going into the top of the canister towards the firewall. What would make it make noise. When I pulled the line there was air moving in it towards the canister.

As a side note, I removed the hose assembly from the bottom to get a look inside and it may as well be a dirt canister. Seems to be a lot in there.

I am not expert on this but I know a little.
The way I understand it, the gas tank is pressurized and any VOC (gas fumes) get directed into this this charcoal canister rather than into the atmosphere. Probably works great for awhile but then as they get old and know one seems to replace them then you get we have. Dirty useless canister of gas saturated carbon.
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in

That makes sense to my also, seemingly knowledgeless assumption, that the fumes being redirected are going into the atmophere anyhow because the filter is clogged. Ill beat the crap out of it some and put it back in. It will go on the long list of crap I need.

Anyone else feel free to chime in, but for now its goin back in. :D

I wonder if that could be why I smell Gas while driving. Esp. in slower conditions. If that canister is clogged could it make the gasoline smell more apparent or am I off my sliders....? :confused:

Once I got close to it...say a couple feet or so I could definitely smell fuel. If yours is as bad or worse than mine I suppose its possible you could smell it from the drivers seat.

In slow driving conditions the fuel is circulating back to the tank and will heat it up to where it gives off fumes and create pressure. Since the canister is only open during certain times(not met with slow driving) the canister is overpressured and thus will let some vent to the air. I will look at the book and see what conditions need to be for vapor to vent into the engine. later robbie
ty

So out of the FSM the HC are let into the engine when temp is above 147 f , TVV open, Vaccuum on port P. If temp is above 95 f with idleing or a/c idleing ( alittle confusing as the book states variable opening controlled by ECM). High pressure in tank no induction into engine (this seems funny as this is when I would want to get ride of some of it, instead of letting the charcol absorb it and saturate it). There is test to see if all is working right, a couple pages long.
so only a few conditions for the HC to be let into the engine> I really think this is something toyota really did not think about for the LC and wheeling slow. One thought is that you put in a ball valve and vent to air when wheeling so the pressure does not build up in the tank. Once I put the hand held temp gun on the tank and read 105 degrees on a long wheeling day and outside temps in the high 70's. This creates high pressure in the tank and not the right condition to allow the engine to burn it off as I see in the book and experence it in the real world. later robbie

Thanks for digging into the FSM on this powderpig.
I know a lot of folks have complained about the gas smell especially a few minutes after parking it seems to smell the most.
I agree that mr toyota probably was not that concerned about the specific slow speed nature of the cruiser and probably adapted this setup from some other model. I wonder where it orginated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom