Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the picture it looks like the hose fittings come out of the canister. Is this correct?

Also, is there any way to "open up" the check valves if they are stuck? (I opened up my canister and replaced the charcoal but the check valves are the main issue.)

Last edited:
the check valve is a simple ball and spring combo. Spray some brake cleaner and follow through with some air pressure and that should do it I suspect.

You just have to love Mud. I have been having fuel vapor, boiling over problems for a couple of years now when we wheel the 80. Before the Crawl I installed a napa #229818, cost about $39. Den Mom Deb wheeled Bessie all over Superlift in Hot Springs and did not have one issue with fuel venting. Thanks MUD!!!

I used BWD # CP1018 if you don't have a Napa handy. It is available at O'Reillys and Pep Boys. Around the same price as WCT49 quoted. I know there were a few at the Crawl that need to be ordering these.

I put the duralast VC120 from AutoZone in my fzj80 and don't have venting issues anymore either. $36 + tax. Of course, they had to get it from the regional depot, and said they'd have it by 7:20 that night, and then lost the one that they initially ordered so they had to order another from the vendor, but inside of a week i was all set.

Think I need to do this, I can launch my gas cap when taking it off if I do not have a good hold on it.

Think I need to do this, I can launch my gas cap when taking it off if I do not have a good hold on it.

For 40.00 bucks you owe it to your self to try, you can always go back to stock if it doesn't work.:cheers:

You just have to love Mud. I have been having fuel vapor, boiling over problems for a couple of years now when we wheel the 80. Before the Crawl I installed a napa #229818, cost about $39. Den Mom Deb wheeled Bessie all over Superlift in Hot Springs and did not have one issue with fuel venting. Thanks MUD!!!

That's good news indeed. Did this unit fit w/o any issues or is it a slightly fatter unit than the OEM?

I can't speak on the Napa product, but the one I used was slightly larger in diameter. From what i have read, this has been the experience of others that have used the Pontiac canister.

Longer bolts will be needed or many have used zip ties. I fortunately don't have to deal with emission inspections/testing where I live, so making it look factory wasn't a goal.

I ended up taking off the lower loop of the bracket to make assembly with zip ties easier, because it's tricky to guess the mounting height until you start bolting the bracket back in. I feel a little guilty about that and might put it back on. Belt & suspenders is how Mr. T designed it so who am I to question it?

Great weekend in Hot Springs, by the way - Cottonland put on a good event, glad to travel to it from Dallas.

That's good news indeed. Did this unit fit w/o any issues or is it a slightly fatter unit than the OEM?

nope it was not a perfect fit had to modify it to work, but it worked. It was fatter and had to modify the bottom of it like stated in a above post. I have had zero issues with the aftermarket part.

I ordered my auto VC120 today looking forward to giving it ago. I think it will work and i am sick of spendng a ton of money on my TLC. the last guy that had my truck really messed it up. I feel like i am saving it from the junk yard some days.......

auto zone VC120

had to use zip ties need longer bolts its a big gap but it works great so far need a long run to make sure!
WP_000893.jpg
WP_000899.jpg

I have a 92' and Autozone said I needed the VC4052 at $370!:crybaby:
Would anyone know if the VC120 would work for me? I have been spending a small fortune lately on the ol' girl and any chance to save a few dollars is just fine with me.

I only know about the fzj80, but the 120 isn't a perfect fit, but for the money, it's a great option. Read through this thread for info and pics. Search for more info.

your 92 and my 94 can't be two different

I have a 92' and Autozone said I needed the VC4052 at $370!:crybaby:
Would anyone know if the VC120 would work for me? I have been spending a small fortune lately on the ol' girl and any chance to save a few dollars is just fine with me.

It fits and so far works well i will be driving it hard this weekend towing trailer over passes we shall see how it does.

I did the swap to the Duralast VC120. As others have mentioned:

-Used zip ties to hold the bracket together
-Had to remove all 4 bolts (its is a TLC after all) on the canister bracket to get lower vent tube off
-Removed old bracket and tube assembly off bottom of Toyota canister
-Drilled hole in bottom of VC120 canister and used self tapping screws to affix old lower tube
-Had to work to get new canister down inside old bracket

just got back from a long run with the new cheaper auto zone part worked great! I think i even got better MPG. in the past i was getting 13 MPG with no trailer. now with part and 3000 pound trailer i got 14 MPG. truck ran better too i think mine was completly blocked up. I did over 1000 miles and climbed 4 plus thousand feet. ran the truck at 4 thousand rpms for 5 mins on one hill climb. this was all on road use. hope fully next time will be off road.

Ok I have been through all 12 pages and have really one seen one or two 60 owners that have done this. I know this is meant for the 80s but wondering if there is anyone else that watches this thread (comes highly recommended on the 60s forum) and has done to their 60 WITH PICS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom