Changing Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
bolt on driver side front shock nut? It is so close to the master cylinder and tight, I cannot get anything in there to release the nut.
What have you guys used to unscrew this one?
Also, has anyone used special tool to hold the shock body while unscrewing the nut?

Use an impact swivel socket on the top nut and hold on to the shock body with these:

Or use a 17mm boxed end (Gear Wrench if you have one) on the nut and the channel locks on the body.

-B-

or use the 17mm box end wrench and grab the slotted part of the top of the shock with some vice grips. gently let the vice grips rest up against the exhaust manifold and about 5 seconds with a crack torch to loosen the lock tite.
Dave

or... use a drimel with a cutting disk and cut it's shaft and two nuts off.

R2

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=13143;start=msg121501#msg121501 date=1079376203]
or... use a drimel with a cutting disk and cut it's shaft and two nuts off.

R2
[/quote]

OOOCH sounds like that would hurt!

[quote author=SHAMROX80 link=board=2;threadid=13143;start=msg121504#msg121504 date=1079376511]
OOOCH sounds like that would hurt!
[/quote]

If you've every stuggled to get one of these corroded, stripped basta-gess off, it's quite satisfying :D. I think the steel they used for the shafts of these things had bubble gum mixed in with it, cause the vise-grips turned the ob-longed end into circular.

It is just hard to get that one right under the master cylinder. Not enough space and turning radius for the wrench or any sort of tools....

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=13143;start=msg121891#msg121891 date=1079444116]
It is just hard to get that one right under the master cylinder. Not enough space and turning radius for the wrench or any sort of tools....
[/quote]

A flex head gear wrench will get in there no problem. That is the trusty last resort in the trusty toolbox for me when things are tight! HTH

air ratchet with a snap-on swivel socket fits o.k. I just hit it with my air wrench and held the shock body with my hand, came right off. It was tight though.

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=13143;start=msg121891#msg121891 date=1079444116]
[/quote]

As I recall I put a box-end wrench on it and braced it on something then turned the shock from underneath.

PPC,

i think that is a good idea to try. I will get it going and let you all know how it went.
Thanks to all for your tips and hints! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom