Changing out Breaks 1988 Land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum just joined. I have 1988 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62 for about 5 years now. I have done some work on it myself. I need to replace the brakes. Is this a easy task? If so is there anywhere I can download a how to guide?

New to the forum just joined. I have 1988 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62 for about 5 years now. I have done some work on it myself. I need to replace the brakes. Is this a easy task? If so is there anywhere I can download a how to guide?

With some time and tools its not too bad of a task. There are a bunch of good videos on youtube that review how to take apart toyota truck hubs and rear drums. The only thing that you really need to learn on the drums is the trick for backing off the ebrake mechanism through the window in the back of the drum. Up front you will need the 54mm socket Photo linked to amazon unit I bought for $24).

Here is a good video detailing the procedure for pulling off the rotors:

Important to note: when installing the outer wheel bearing the FSM (Factory Shop Manual) tells you to tighten the lock nut to 42 FOOT pounds to set the bearing and then back it off. Then tighten it again to 42 INCH pounds to lock it.

And another good one for the rear drums

Last edited:
Here's a link to Factory Service Manuals.

depends on how deep your going into the front axle, just changing pads, easy, need to change rotors a little more complicated. full knuckle rebuild, more time consuming.

Rear brakes were one of the first real repairs I did on my 60 and it went off without a hitch. Just go ahead and do it right while you're in there, too. New wheel cylinders, master cylinder if you're feeling frisky. Depending on how your soft brake lines look, swap em out for the braided stainless. Get your drums resurfaced. New shoes. New pads. No sense in half-assing something as important as the ability to stop 2 tons of Cruiser when you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom