Changing only two tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the recommendation for changing only two tires? My fronts are wearing significantly more than my rears and I do not want to pay for all four. What is the factory spec for tread depth difference that does not affect the all time 4WD system?

Is there a reason for the wear difference? How often you rotate?

It’s fine, you’re not gonna hurt anything unless you’re putting 33” tires in the front and the stock rears are 31”

The rotation question is still an important one to look into.

Depending on how worn out are your fronts and given that we go into summer my plan would be to move the fronts to the back now and drive till fall. Then before winter arrives change all the tires and get into the habit of rotating them, all 5 of them! Why all 5? because if you end up with a flat when your tires are worn your spare will not have a big difference in thread, that besides the obvious fact that you'll get a lot more miles out of your set.

If you are actually planning some off roading where you need good thread, then just replace 2 of them with SAME tire. The issue with this is that you'll have to change the old remaining tires before the new 2 tires and you'll be in a forever unmatched tire situation. Except if your front tires wear at twice the speed of the rears, and which case forget about tires and see what's wrong with your truck suspension that is wearing fronts so fast.

I looked up and listed the tolerance for the torsen center diff and posted it somewhere on Mud years ago. I forget the number but it seems like it was a decent percentage (maybe 3%?)

Is there a reason for the wear difference? How often you rotate?
I rotate every 5K but I was running on bad AHC dampers and I believe it was causing uneven and excessive wear on the fronts. Now that I have the suspension fixed, I need to address the worn fronts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom