Changing oil filter without changing oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud, quick question. If I pull the oil filter housing, how much oil will I lose? Long story but my filter housing (metal) has damage and I want to replace it but I don't want to go through a whole oil change as I just did it. Is the filter circuit separate from the oil storage area? Can I just pull the filter and lose the amount of oil I see when I change the filter after draining the pan? Thanks.

If you are interested, here is the damage to the filter housing. I'm not sure how it happened. I'm thinking porous casting or contaminated casting.

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

If Im not mistaken, thats just the lower "lid" to the housing, correct? I dont see where that chip off that lid is gonna cause issue.

If Im not mistaken, thats just the lower "lid" to the housing, correct? I dont see where that chip off that lid is gonna cause issue.

It's a replacement all metal housing.

My question is: is that a Toyota part or some other aftermarket like Dorman?

TIA

It's a replacement all metal housing.

My question is: is that a Toyota part or some other aftermarket like Dorman?

TIA

Toyota Part

AFAIK officially you'll need to to add 0.6 quarts. I believe the manual says an oil change is 7.3 qts w/o filter change, 7.9 qts with.

Just drain and remove the filter, then top off the oil level when you're done. If you are crafty and capture the oil w/o contaminating it you can reuse whatever you drained out and maybe you add 0.1 qts or less for whatever was still adhering to the filter and housing

You are correct about the location. It does hold an O ring though that makes me think it can leak.

That cap covers a check valve that keeps the oil in the housing when the engine is shut off.. no clue whether it is designed to handle the pressure of a charged oiling system.

I agree with @linuxgod Drain the filter housing, remove the cap, swap your longer filter tube to the new cap, reuse filter, reinstall.

Personally, the trouble of catching the oil and making sure it stays perfectly clean would pay for the cost of half a quart to replace it.

I'm also very curious how this would happen.. did you do the last oil change? or someone else did and you noticed it leaking?

Could it be related to doing 180 mph ?

That cap covers a check valve that keeps the oil in the housing when the engine is shut off.. no clue whether it is designed to handle the pressure of a charged oiling system.

I agree with @linuxgod Drain the filter housing, remove the cap, swap your longer filter tube to the new cap, reuse filter, reinstall.

Personally, the trouble of catching the oil and making sure it stays perfectly clean would pay for the cost of half a quart to replace it.

I'm also very curious how this would happen.. did you do the last oil change? or someone else did and you noticed it leaking?

That is likely the route I will go. I do all my own service and installed the new metal cap at my last oil change 5k mi ago. The skid plates are all in place and no damage. I just remove the filter drain cover and the pieces sort of crumbled off from those ridges. Very weird. Only thing I can think of is the metal was porous or contaminated when the part was manufactured. That could have been exacerbated by the extreme temps we had here this winter (-25°F, -45°F windchill) and then running the engine. Who knows. Amazon refunded me for the purchase so I will buy another. The one on my Lexus ISF has had no issues for 11 years.

I don’t mind replacing 1 quart, I just wanted to know if I was gonna get a whole lot of oil coming at me when pulling jus the filter.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom