changing jets while carb is still installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any way to change the jets while the carb is still on the vehicle? I can understand getting them out, but not re-installing them. PO put on smaller jets and I want to go back to stock. Thanks!

If you grind down a screwdriver and shape it so it has a center rod that will fit inside the jet hole to be able to support the jet when the screwdriver is horizontal- you could then insert the jet into its spot without it falling off the screwdriver. You'll be working blind and there's a real risk of cross threading the jet.

Its MUCH safer to just not be lazy and pop the top of the carb and do it right. The time spent making a custom screwdriver that may not work would be better spent just taking off the top of the carb.

I guess I am still confused. I understand taking off the top of the carb, but if the bottom is still on the engine, don't you still need to make a special screw driver? Or is it just easier because you have access to the float bowl.

With the top off you'll have access to the bowl to be able to start the jet in its threads. A standard screwdriver will fit the jet slots if you get the right size. Make sure the screwdriver fits the slots correctly. Last thing you want to do is strip the slot. There are vids on YouTube where guys file down a screwdriver to fit the jet slot perfectly.

The problem with trying to deal with the jet with the top on is it will likely fall off the screwdriver- & then you'll have to take the top off anyway.

Get new a new gasket.

I swapped out the primary once with the carb still on the manifold but I was extremely careful not to cross thread and it was very difficult - There are a LOT of small parts that can get lost if you're not careful. One time I tried it by removing the air horn and that was worse. I would not do either way again. Far less stress to remove the carb and do it on a bench. Having the right wrenches for removing the carb makes it much easier, too.

Find the proper-size screwdriver and grind-down the edges, otherwise the blade will be too small and strip the jets.

Last edited:
So @Spike Strip,

Since you've done it both ways (I've only worked on my carb off the engine on a big table) ...

If you personally were out in the boonies, way out, days away from any shops or your home and you HAD to remove or clean the primary jet (cuz maybe some crap somehow got lodged in it)...

Based on your experience, would you:

1. Try to access the main jet through the front access port on the front of the carb while the carb was installed on the engine?
Or
2. Remove the top & try it then with the carb installed? (if you had a spare new gasket)
Or
3. Remove the entire carb off the manifold and work on it on the tailgate with a tarp covering the tailgate & maybe the ground (to catch falling pieces)?
Or
4. Limp home using Okie rebuilds from time to time to keep the engine running until you could work on it properly at home on a bench?

Each method carries it's own risk.
I've been faced with that scenario.
I chose option 4.
The thought of losing one little clip or spring or steel ball forever into the dirt or somewhere when working on it on the tailgate - thereby making the car undrivable, seemed way too risky to me.

Makes a big difference if you're smog'd or not. Since I am, it was very difficult even to access the bolt on the float bowl to get to the jet. I had to use a small mirror and bright headlamp. What helped was having the Carburetor SST which fits the jet perfectly and a little tight so the jet didn't slip off the driver.

But if in the boonies and suspected bad gas/clogged jet I'd try removing the access bolt and spritzing cleaner in there (I carry a can). If that didn't work, I'd remove the carb for exactly the reasons you mention concerning small parts. It's even worse thinking something could drop down the throat and into the intake if it makes it past the throttle plates.

Well I'm not in a huge rush and I want to do it right, so I think I will just take the carb off and swap the jet. I got a screwdriver and ground down the edges today to fit inside the access holes, I tried it on my spare carb and it works well, however, I had already messed up the primary jet on that one, so I am going to have to replace it. I have some mikuni jets that I am going to try.

I also need to fix the galley plug for good, so I went ahead and took the hood and air cleaner assembly off for that, so now is as good a time as ever to pull the carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom