Changing Head Unit to Aftermarket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm trying to figure out if I can change my head unit over to aftermarket and still retain all the features of my stock 9 speaker system. Actually I'm trying to decided if I should buy someones old stereo or if I should buy a new one. The one I have now is lacking (it's a long story).

So is there a way to retain all 9 speakers? I don't want to install anything other than a head unit.

Thanks

I think if you are going to replace the head unit and try to keep the factory amps and speakers you will be disappointed. The stock speakers are junk and the amps are very low powered. I can see keeping the same physical setup as far as locations and numbers of speakers. This wouldn’t be hard to wire with the addition of an amp, add a bigger sub with a separate amp. As a starting point you could use the following components for head unit only and later upgrading:

Check out the Peripheral VEN 4.5 on this site:
http://www.autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnrqorg4

and wiring harnesses BHA-8112 or BHA-8110 on this site:
http://www.bestkits.com/bk_harnesses_main.htm

Should make it plug and pray.

Excellent, I think that is exactly what I am looking for. 8)

I had a new stereo put in a few years back because I refused to give the Toyota $100 to reset my old stereo. Best buy installed my new head for free, and it works pretty well. I bought new speakers for the fronts, and plan to change the back soon. It sounds OK, but not great. Someday I will upgrade, but it sounds alot better than stock.

I just finished installing new speakers in front and rear doors and they sound awesome! I originally wanted to keep totally stock appearance, and thought what I needed first was a head unit, but when a guy convinced me to pull my door panels (easier to do than I originally thought- 10 minutes) I found my front speakers completely wasted and barely any paper left around it's circumference. The back door speakers weren't quite as bad. I still wanted stock size, but after doing a lot of research here and other places and talking to many installers, I decided to buy a high quality set of speakers and do the install myself. I went to Car Toy's and listened to their 5.25" to 6.5" speakers and hours later decided that I liked the Focal 165CA's the best for the money. They will fit but need spacers custom made. I put one spacer behind the door panel, then another one between the door panel and the speaker. They look and sound great! Sounded so good that I did the same for the back doors but went with the 5.25" on back doors. They needed the same spacers made, but I also had to trim the openings a little bit. It's a little tramatic doing this install the way I did, especially in the back doors but they look really good and sound great. Now, I'm thinking of adding a sub like an Infinity Basslink where the factory sub is and a new head unit. Changing the front and rear door speakers makes a HUGE improvement in sound, more so than just changing the reciever going through junky stock speakers.

Bryan

I have a Basslink in my Subaru and I really like it. It adds fullness to my music. Granted it isn't going to add glass breaking bass. However I'm not so sure it isn't too wide to fit in the stock location. One might be better off with a custom inclosure in the stock location.

where is the stock sub located on the 80?

Don't quote me but I think the stock 'sub' (it might be a strange woofer) is in the right quarter panel. There is a lone speaker there which is I beleive 6-7 inches. It has it's own amp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom