Builds Bobs 2017 GX460 build (slow but steady) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it’s lifted and has tires and wheels now. I still need to mess with the rear height sensors. The shop took them out, so I will have them put them back in on Monday. Probably a good chance to figure what I need to do there anyway.
Tires and wheels look good and it should settle a bit over the next few days. Rubs only a bit so trimming should be easy.
these are not the best pictures but I will get better ones tomorrow...

1585882314677.jpeg

1585882345073.jpeg

1585882373865.jpeg

Well it’s lifted and has tires and wheels now. I still need to mess with the rear height sensors. The shop took them out, so I will have them put them back in on Monday. Probably a good chance to figure what I need to do there anyway.
Tires and wheels look good and it should settle a bit over the next few days. Rubs only a bit so trimming should be easy.

View attachment 2258478
View attachment 2258480
View attachment 2258482

Looks great! Definitely will settle some, looks tall, but I like it haha.

View attachment 2258478
View attachment 2258480
View attachment 2258482
The only trimming I had to do was the inner wheel wells, just a little. Some people use a heat gun, if you have one.

Played a little golf today with some close friends and my brother. When I finished I walked up to my car and there was a gx470 parked behind me with a roof top tent. For a second I thought someone was punking me and installed it on mine. Oh well...Kind of good way to visualize it though.
1588549459744.jpeg
I

Hey Bob, I’ve been reading thru some of your posts on the 470 and 460. Good reads. Would love to hear your thoughts on the differences between your old radflo setup and this new Dobinson. I know it may not be a fair comparison given a bigger lift and newer vehicle but hey, I thought I’d ask. You usually seem pretty good at articulating the details succinctly. I’ve got a 470 and just wanted to put new shocks on it. I started researching and ended up reading half or more of your threads and I want more now. Damnit!
Just curious what you do for work - rural back roads piqued my interest.

I really liked the Radflo setup on the 470 a lot... it was great off road and still had great on-road manners too (cornering around traffic circles, taking speedbumps and railroad crossings in stride). My only issue was after a while (after maybe 30-40K miles) I had a lot of clunking which probably meant I needed to get the shocks rebuilt. This new Dobinsons kit seems great, but I have not dialed it in yet.
I took the 460 on some rough dirt roads this weekend (including some good uneven, bumpy trails and even some washboard on a fire road and it seemed like something was not right yet. The washboards had my wife asking me to slow down and the trails were kind of just "something doesn't seem right" feel. I also want to check the compression of the bushings and confirm they were installed correctly.
Not the fault of where I bought them, just that I need to figure out the adjustments and try and dial it in for that perfect point for mostly on road, and still get off road without having to adjust every time (then I expect to change some adjusting and airing down if I am going offroad for something more technical). So I guess there is more to come on the Dobinsons, but I have heard a lot of good things from others who have it and I do expect it to work great. Probably a case of "operator inexperience" for now with the adjusting.

I added the stock crossbars to the flush mounted roof rails this weekend. (I am sure "wishing" someone would make a legit strong clamp on base for the flush mount rails, so I could install some real crossbars). Anyway, I mounted my Yakima Jaylow kayak racks and now want to add an awning. The stock crossbars are temporary until I find a better crossbar option (I am leaning away from the full platform racks, but maybe I will cave in someday).
Has anyone mounted an awning to the factory cross bars? I am considering the 270 Peregrine, the Rhino Batwing and the OVS Nomadic 270. Should be relatively low load since I’m hoping to mount the kayak racks, an awning and maybe some maxtrax(‘s?) lengthwise between the kayak racks

swisherGX.jpg

kayak racks.jpg

Last edited:
We practiced some "Social Distancing" and took the rig camping and fly-fishing last weekend. Suspension and tires were great in some washed out and really rough access roads to the river and it also did great towing the trailer. Plus we really enjoyed when people passed us (yes, I used the right lane when there was a passing lane) and they did a double take on the lifted Lexus towing a trailer. I even had someone say it looked like the bat mobile (I kind of liked that comment)

1593708451224.png

next up for projects...

1) still figuring out the roof rack (hoping to get an OVS 270 awning up there with the kayak racks, so looking for awning brackets to fit my stock cross bars)

2) detailing the rig, polish and apply a ceramic coating (I will be using CQuartz UK 3.0)

3) remove 3rd row seats and build out a drawer system (does anyone have the measurements across the back once the seats are removed? Hoping to order the drawer boxes soon so I can build these out myself)

4) Install Ham Radio (permanent mount antenna)

5) Find someone to fab up a custom small diameter tube brush bar in front (that also holds 2 Baja Designs LP-6 lights and 2 BD fogs)

6) still need to do some work to figure out my "check suspension" light

7) add in the RAD rubber pcs I bought

Estimated time to complete...TBD but ASAP and AABSAF (as allowed by spouse and finances)

Last edited:
Regarding the brush bar, just be sure it's sturdy enough so if you bump something that you don't bend it into your grill.
The ones you see on most vehicles that bolt under the front bumper and cover the head lights and grill are called "damage multipliers"
Cause if you bump anything you not only tweak your brush guard ($), but it gets pushed into your grill and instant $$$ damage (multiplied).

Mostly I just need some time and to crawl under and figure it out. But it’s just more fun to go fishing.

I switched from the GX470 to the GX460. I went with TRD Pro’s to get in a 17” wheel instead of the stock 18” I’m running BFG KO2’s 265 70 17 with no spacers and no lift. View attachment 2231276
@xlx These wheels/tires are awesome looking! I believe you havent upgraded the suspension and no lifts kits too. Do these new tires rub the walls or any issues while driving/reversing? Please let me know. I want to upgrade my wheels/tires on my 2010 GX460, and its black too like yours! Need some expert advice before I get started.
I dont have the budget to do lift kits/suspension system right away, im gonna reserve it for later.

@xlx These wheels/tires are awesome looking! I believe you havent upgraded the suspension and no lifts kits too. Do these new tires rub the walls or any issues while driving/reversing? Please let me know. I want to upgrade my wheels/tires on my 2010 GX460, and its black too like yours! Need some expert advice before I get started.
I dont have the budget to do lift kits/suspension system right away, im gonna reserve it for later.
Only a very slight rub when backing out the driveway on a sharp turn and only on the passenger side. No rub if backing out slowly. Not even worth messing with. This is with the height adjustment on low. If you raise to high no issues at all. No lift or spacers needed. TRD Pros bolt right on. Very happy with the set up. Would buy the same set up over again. I like the factory look.

Only a very slight rub when backing out the driveway on a sharp turn and only on the passenger side. No rub if backing out slowly. Not even worth messing with. This is with the height adjustment on low. If you raise to high no issues at all. No lift or spacers needed. TRD Pros bolt right on. Very happy with the set up. Would buy the same set up over again. I like the factory look.
@xlx Thank you, that gives me some confidence & that is gonna be my first upgrade. When you do light/mid offroad with the setup you have, does it run into issues like too much rubbing of those sorts....

@xlx Thank you, that gives me some confidence & that is gonna be my first upgrade. When you do light/mid offroad with the setup you have, does it run into issues like too much rubbing of those sorts....
No issues on the trail. The GX does not see too much hard wheeling. My Land Cruiser would get jealous 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom