Changing drive belts on a 60.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you talking about the accessory belts?

Changing them is not so bad, all you need to do is loosen the locking bolts then loosen up the tensioning bolts. On an FJ60 the tensioning bolts are on the alternator, the air pump/smog pump, and the ac compressor.

Take your belts to an automotive store and reinstall opposite of removal.

I have a related question. I know that there are also pivot bolts that you need to loosen before any of that will work. I replaced all of my belts a while ago and seem to have forgotten where the pivot bolt is on the smog pump. Can anyone tell me how to locate this one?
I need to remove this belt because I have a knocking sound coming from or near my smog pump. It is possibly from a loose pivot bolt or its mounting. If not, it is from a smog pump going bad. But to diagnose this I need to get this belt off. Already easily removed PS belt because its pivot bolt is easy to get to. So the knocking is not the PS pump.

If memory serves, the smog pump and alternator share a belt. No adjustment to to air pump, loosen the alt.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Hi FJ60Seth. Thanks for the quick reply, but that isnt the case. The PS pump and the alternator share. To get the PS pump off I did exactly as you say. That is the easiest one because the alt is on top so the pivot bolt is really easy to see. But the Air pump/smog pump whatever you wanna call it is underneath the PS pump and it does have the adjustments on it, I just cannot find the pivot bolt for this one. Is it easier to get at and see if I remove the fan? If that is a good idea, how do i take that one off.

If I remember correctly the pivot bolt is on the back side of the smog/air pump. Take a look at JimC's replacement pulley and you will see what I am talking about.

The pivot bolt is at the bottom of the pump. The nut is near the motor mount nut. In the pic you can see the pivot bolt with out the pump.

011-vi.jpg

Hey, Thanks Joe_E. That helped me find it. That is the good news. Turns out the nut on the back was missing and I was hoping that installing that would get rid of my knocking noise. It didnt. So I got the belt off and the knocking went away. I guess its time for a new smog pump.
Interestingly, with the pivot loose, the other lock bolt loose, and loosening the tension adjustment, the belt only comes partially loose. It was still super hard to get enough slack to remove the belt. I double nutted the threaded rod and used it to push. Still really hard, but I got it. Maybe it is just bumping up against something so I cant get it that loose. Maybe I will replace it with a slightly longer belt in the future so that I can replace the belt in 2 minutes like the PS belt and not 1 hour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom