Changing differential oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use the 5-gallon bucket 80w-90 from Napa etc.
Here is the pump: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...tDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=13350&R=13350

That looks like a good pump. Don't use one of these:

gear_oil_pump.jpg

The hose popped off while I was under the cruiser and dumped me with oil.:doh:

KenleyF

Thanks for the good information that made this job easy! The 5/16 socket worked perfectly on the drain plugs but I found a 17mm fill plug on the rear as well as the t-case. The t-case fill plug (trying to remove it first) is proving to be a bear! Any ideas on how to get leverage, not round off the bolt and successfully get this bolt out?? Is there an SAE socket, that will fit tighter than the 17mm?

Thanks for all the help, the rookie needs it!!:beer:

PB blaster, sit, heat, tap on it..... lather, rinse, repeat.

Hello, I am new to this site and having trouble navigating to general questions. I have a 76 FJ40 and am wondering how much diff fluid to use in front and rear? I have heard that putting it in until it comes out filler hole is proper, does this sound right?

Hello, I am new to this site and having trouble navigating to general questions. I have a 76 FJ40 and am wondering how much diff fluid to use in front and rear? I have heard that putting it in until it comes out filler hole is proper, does this sound right?
correct. if you want to know how much that is someone posted quantities earlier in this thread

That looks like a good pump. Don't use one of these:

gear_oil_pump.jpg

The hose popped off while I was under the cruiser and dumped me with oil.:doh:

I have a similar design...I used a smaller hose clamp on the fittings to insure that didn't happen to me!

Do the tranny and the T-case at the same time since it should be chance at the same interval.

You should also know how many oil you need.

80W90
Front diff : 3L
Rear diff :2.5L
Tranny : 4.9L
t-case : 2.1L

These numbers and oil used are the same for the FJ62? What brand oil? I’d probably be going to NAPA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom