Changing Brake Rotors - Do you have to pull the hub too?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it necessary to pull the whole front hub to change the brake rotor? I know I did this last time around when I didn the birfs and everything, but why couldn't you just loosen the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub and pull the rotor off and then put the new one on ?

Admittedly, I haven't studied it in detail lately, but it would seem you could do that.

TIA

R.

it is not as easy as you think to unbolt the rotor from the hub. pulling the hub is not a big deal.

OK, the hub is outboard of the rotor. Case closed. I was just hoping I could do a quick 10 min. swap out. I have new bearings on hand, I'll just have to pull it all apart again. No big deal.

Thanks,

R.

I just did this (installed new front rotors/pads) yesterday. I was humming along nicely following the FSM when I hit a delay. having taken the hub off I now had to remove the rotor from the hub. I had to use a vise to h9old the disc while remoiving the bolts. On the seconf side I had an idea :idea: ..On the seconf side I rasied only the wheel I was working on and removed the wheel. I cracked the bolts holding the hub to the rotor BEFORE removing the hub. saved ALOT of time and aggravation.....

You could also lay the wheel flat and put the hub/ rotor in the wheel. That gives you the leverage to remove the rotor bolts from the hub. Next time...

stayalert said:
having taken the hub off I now had to remove the rotor from the hub. I had to use a vise to h9old the disc while remoiving the bolts.

Impact wrech !!!

Impact wrenches and all air tools are for wussies.

DougM

FrankTorres said:
You could also lay the wheel flat and put the hub/ rotor in the wheel. That gives you the leverage to remove the rotor bolts from the hub. Next time...

I am flat lining on htis. Help me understand....If you put the hub/rotor assembly into the removed wheel the bolts holding the hub to the rotor are concealed by the wheel. Please explain.

IdahoDoug said:
Impact wrenches and all air tools are for wussies.

DougM

Do I need to change my "screen name"? My cheapo air impact wrench couldn't free the bolts. I do however use the 3/8" drive air ratchet to give my ailing elbows some slack...

Further......I just replaced front rotors and pads in a friends truck last night. Its unlikely I'll be doing this again in the forseeable future. With two of us it took about 2.5 hours fromt start to finish.

yeesh...two sets of '94 fz80 front rotors/pads in two days....by the 3rd wheel I had memorized the torque specs for reassembly....26,43,47,54,80,90.....

Gumby said:
Wussies with air compressors. ;)

and more time for :beer:

Most def.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom