1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing a birf in the field

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by stinkyfj60, Aug 15, 2005.

1. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Ok, I am cleaning out my garage and I have spare birfs and spare hubs, plus a spare long side front axle. How hard is it to seperate and change a birf in the field?

My thinking is, if I dont seperate the long side axle from the birf and I brake that side I can just change out the whole axle. BUT! Then storing is is rougher because of the additional length and with two girls and a dog space is at a premium.

So are they easy enough to change in the field? Or am I overthinking this?

2. Behemoth60

Behemoth60

Albums:
    seperating a birfield from an axle in the field is easy. Assemling a birflield onto an axle shaft with the spring clip is more difficult.

Look-up 'Marlin Tack'. It is the solution to avoid the need for the spring clip on the axle. It won't work, however, with a factory electric or cable locker on the locker side of the axle.

Peter Straub

3. Mark W

Mark W

To add to/modify Peter's statements; "... the spring clip is more difficult." Buy it still isn't all that hard.

Yes, birfields are easy to change in the field. Assuming that the field is not a pit fulll of muck, a ledge over a drop off, or something like that which comlicates the situation. ;)

Mark...

4. zcruiser

zcruiser Needs monitoring

5. 2badfjs

2badfjs

under the rear seat is where mine is(the long side) just wrap it up real good in heavy plastic,duct tape the snot out of it.
    and pre grease the birf

6. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Thanks for the help! I will keep them together I think, be easier and less messy. Someday I need to really organize any spares and that kind of thing...