Changing a birf in the field (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I am cleaning out my garage and I have spare birfs and spare hubs, plus a spare long side front axle. How hard is it to seperate and change a birf in the field?

My thinking is, if I dont seperate the long side axle from the birf and I brake that side I can just change out the whole axle. BUT! Then storing is is rougher because of the additional length and with two girls and a dog space is at a premium.

So are they easy enough to change in the field? Or am I overthinking this?

seperating a birfield from an axle in the field is easy. Assemling a birflield onto an axle shaft with the spring clip is more difficult.

Look-up 'Marlin Tack'. It is the solution to avoid the need for the spring clip on the axle. It won't work, however, with a factory electric or cable locker on the locker side of the axle.

Peter Straub

To add to/modify Peter's statements; "... the spring clip is more difficult." Buy it still isn't all that hard.

Yes, birfields are easy to change in the field. Assuming that the field is not a pit fulll of muck, a ledge over a drop off, or something like that which comlicates the situation. ;)

Mark...

under the rear seat is where mine is(the long side) just wrap it up real good in heavy plastic,duct tape the snot out of it.
and pre grease the birf

Thanks for the help! I will keep them together I think, be easier and less messy. Someday I need to really organize any spares and that kind of thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom