changin the clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what the bare minimum amount of stuff(seats,tank,heater...) is necisary to change the clutch. Also does anyone have any low-tech ways of pullin the tranny for this project with the top on?

Not sure about 40's but in 60's you just have to buy/rent a tranny jack, and pull the carpet back enough to let you remove the "hump" or whatever you wanna call the acess pannel, and pull a few things off from the top, then lower it on down, look in the haynes manual if you have one, i thought it was pretty good at discribing it

Move heater, pull passenger seat, slide/move fuel tank, remove tunnel cover

I used to bench press the FJ40 4-speed and t-case into place, but I tend to get a bit stubborn with those things. I've used a normal floor jack and a web-ratchet too.

Ahh, the good old days, I too used to bench press them in and out. Now I have $30,000 worth of titanium in my back and this month is my 4th year aniversary since the injury and in February will be three years off of work. Use a jack and have somebody help you.
Eric

77 FJ-40 "bare mimimum" -

Transmission shifter, Transfer Case shifter, rear drive shaft, emergency brake, transfer case.

Find some bolts that are the same thread pattern - but about 6 inches long and replace the transmission bolts with these one at a time. Slide transmission aft to free transmission shaft, support the transmission from below, remove the "slider bolts" then angle the transmission down in back to clear the frame.

Do the reverse to install. Probably about a 3 hour job the first time you try it. 2 with experience.

Rent , borrow, or steal a tranny jack it will make the job a lot easier . This is not a extremely difficult job just a bunch of work remove the passenger seat , undo the heater and pull it aside , pull the fuel tank aside a little ( make sure it's not full) no blast all the tranny hump bolts . Now you can remove the shifter stick , this can be a little tricky I use a couple big screw drivers push down on the retainer ring and turn at the same time . Now you can get the cover off and see all the trans bolts . Under the car you need to undo both drivelines , the speedometer cable and the e brake drum and cable make sure to drain the t case oil first . Now it's ready to come out . This is not a 4 hour job for a first timer so take your time and get to know your cruiser this is worth doing yourself so get a decent repair manual and enjoy the journey . My experience is had been however long it takes to take it apart will take twice as long to put back together .

Rent , borrow, or steal a tranny jack it will make the job a lot easier . This is not a extremely difficult job just a bunch of work remove the passenger seat , undo the heater and pull it aside , pull the fuel tank aside a little ( make sure it's not full) no blast all the tranny hump bolts . Now you can remove the shifter stick , this can be a little tricky I use a couple big screw drivers push down on the retainer ring and turn at the same time . Now you can get the cover off and see all the trans bolts . Under the car you need to undo both drivelines , the speedometer cable and the e brake drum and cable make sure to drain the t case oil first . Now it's ready to come out . This is not a 4 hour job for a first timer so take your time and get to know your cruiser this is worth doing yourself so get a decent repair manual and enjoy the journey . My experience is had been however long it takes to take it apart will take twice as long to put back together .

Good advise, but I sure hope the OP manged to get his clutch changed over the last 15 years!! LOL
He may be due for the next one by now however...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom